Ball mouse vs Optical mouse

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff

Which do you prefer

Ball mouse
14%
Optical mouse
86%
Trackball mouse (this is the kind where you work the ball with your thumb)
No votes

Total votes: 14

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#1 Ball mouse vs Optical mouse

Post by Destructionator XV »

I was just cleaning the rollers in my ball mouse, which is my primary mouse, and this question came to mind.

Which kind of mouse do you prefer, a ball mouse or an optical mouse? Which kind do you actually use more often? Any reason why you have this preference?

I generally prefer the ball mouse, especially a clean ball mouse. They glide along the pad so nicely and give me precise control. Sure, they need cleaning every month or so, but that takes only a minute.

edit: I left out trackball on the poll, so I added it. The trackball is a stationary mouse where you manipulate the ball with your thumb. Not to be confused with a normal ball mouse.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

Optical, because it's easier to clean, more reliable, more accurate, works better on more surfaces and doesn't squeak.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Nit has an optical. I have a ball. Guess which one is the more reliable?

not mine!

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Optical, with ball on the backup PC.
Basically what Narsil said (though I guess I case could be made for 'It's a mouse! It's supposed to Squeak!').
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Dartzap
Keeper of the Beer

Post by Dartzap »

Optical for me as well.

I'd be intrested to see what a wireless optical is like, reliability wise.
"Why hello! Could I intrest you in some giant bonsai trees?"

Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Dartzap wrote:Optical for me as well.
I can tell you mine has worked flawlessly for the past 4 to 6 years give or take. If anything it should be more reliable than a ball one-less moving parts, after all.
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

I've been using ball mouses for years, and have never had one squeak on me. You must be doing something wrong if yours is.

As for accuracy, I find a clean ball mouse at least matches an optical mouse.

On surfaces, aye the optical does usally work better, but not always. I have an awesome holographic Star Trek mouse pad and if I set my optical on it it goes nuts, but the ball works just fine. Also true of shiny and highly reflective surfaces in my experience.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

I've been using ball mouses for years, and have never had one squeak on me. You must be doing something wrong if yours is.
Older ball mouses tend to squeak with the moving parts as you move them.
Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

I had one for two weeks before it broke on my ass. I now use an optical with a wire, which is working fine.
Jonathan McKenzie
Half-Insane Snakehead | MSPaint Acolyte | Wierd TGOD'er

"Every time you stay abstinent...Kitten kills a god."
Masterharper
Apprentice

Post by Masterharper »

I got an optical mouse when they first came out, pretty much. Logitech, metallic blue. Very simple, very sturdy, very reliable and easy to clean. The wheel wore out on me here about 4 months ago, and the mouse was at least 5 years old. I replaced it with the exact same mouse in a different color (but only because they didn't have the same color.)

There's really no comparing in my mind. Optical all the way.
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

Destructionator XV wrote: On surfaces, aye the optical does usally work better, but not always. I have an awesome holographic Star Trek mouse pad and if I set my optical on it it goes nuts, but the ball works just fine. Also true of shiny and highly reflective surfaces in my experience.
Optical mice react really badly to multicolour and shiny surfaces, true. I can live with that. And it's not like optical-compatible mousepads are all that expensive. You miss your old mousepad that much, nail it to the wall for decoration. :wink:
About the only thing I miss about ball mice is I can no longer hide the mouse ball on others :razz:
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Trackball, Logitech Marblemouse Trackabll to be precise, a Optical Trackball.

Easy to use, requires a minimum of space, and I can swung a railgun around at 1000 FPS with a flick of my fingers.

If I'm going to use a normal mouse, then it must be Optical.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Uraniun235
Acolyte

Post by Uraniun235 »

Optical wired.

I'd actually be more interested in how many people prefer wired over wireless.
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

I sure as hell don't.
The ONLY advantage wired has over wireless is the lack of need for batteries and with rechargeables that one is considerably mitigated especially as a lot of wireless mice include a recharger with the base station.
I'm sure as hell not going back to corded.
vampykat
Apprentice

Post by vampykat »

I was using a lovely trackball, it worked great for gaming, I didn't have to move my wrist (athritis and all that), just loved it.

For my bday I was given a wireless keyboard and mouse and I must say I would much rather prefer to go back to my trackball. But I love not having cords to deal with.

I cannot find a wireless trackball, I must be either A. missing it completely, or B. dorky as hell cuz it is out there..lol

Don't say dorky, ya might hurt my feelers, and DS..shup, cuz I know you want to say I am dorky..lol
vampykat
Apprentice

Post by vampykat »

Yikes, so after posting that I thought what the hell, I will google a wireless trackball mouse since it had been a while.

Ok, I admit, I am dorky, found a buttload.

le sigh, can I blame all the medical testing and pain killers I got today on the dorkiness??

*grins impishly and runs off to order said wireless trackball mouse*
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

The only game the trackball ever worked with for me was Spindizzy/Marble Madness. How do you control a flight sim with a trackball? Or a FPS?
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

How do you control a flight sim with a trackball? Or a FPS?
I managed the latter quite well. Dual Enforcers plus a near-zealous refusal to lose plus a trackerball - I became extremely good at it. (In fact, I wound up being able to aim perfectly well with both hands at one time due to breaking my right thumb after an attack at school - I had to adapt my playing style somewhat.)
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Wireless Logitech optical mouse and keyboard. Both are fantastic, RARELY notice even the slightest hiccup.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

I use a laptop, but when I use a mouse, I prefer an optical mouse. Otherwise, I am happy using the touchpad. I have actually become lethally proficient with it.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Technicly the situation nowdays is thus:

Optical wired
Ball and Optical Wireless are fairly even.

Optical wired have amazing resolution and just damn well good sensativity.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

I have a logitech wireless optical and it seems to be the exception to everything everyone has ever told me about them, It gets great battery life (change batteries once every two months or so) and great accuracy on a rather niffty black Amphibious Outfitters (Dive equipment company) mouse pad. I like it and it is very durable having lasted for several years, survived trips accross country and even being partially melted in summer heat in car *knocks on desk*.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
The Village Idiot
Initiate

Post by The Village Idiot »

I gott say...I work almost everyday for 16 hours a day with an optical mouse. I like it despite the low quality of the mouse, It does a fine job keeping up.

My home mouse is also an optical, but much higher quality, and it shows. At this point I dont think I could go back to a ball mouse. I am starting to like the trackball mouse, but I need more practice to surpass my optical....Although those who are well practiced scare me *cough*Derick*cough*(Guy me, CT, SB, and Magi know)
"Sir, are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Corbin Dallas - The Fifth Element
Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

acutally he's on the bored now Kophen. Yeah he can use a track ball in a FPS and Age of Empires II with frightning speed and accuracy while keeping the track ball base on his chest rather than the desk. Though recently he was forced to switch over to a wireless optical due to the trackball being irriversably broken.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
The Village Idiot
Initiate

Post by The Village Idiot »

Lets see if his loss of the track ball will give us an edge in our upcoming lan party. Age of Empires, RTW, and Dawn of War I believe are on the docket.
"Sir, are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Corbin Dallas - The Fifth Element