development of the mind

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

Ali Sama
Initiate

#1 development of the mind

Post by Ali Sama »

Do you think intelligence(a high iq) coupled with accelerated mental maturity at a young age would be helpful or detrimental to a person?
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230

My live Journal
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Speaking from observational (and hence anecdotal) experience, both. If the intelligence and maturity channel themselves toward early lifeplanning, it's entirely beneficial, because the earlier you start getting things sorted out and done in life the better. On the other hand, it definitely leads to isolate and social difficulties with peers, since kids like that don't really end up having peers. Kids their own age can't understand them (and we know how kids treat even the most minor differences), whereas the people they can actually relate to in terms of knowledge tend not to take them seriously because they're 'only kids'.

Mixed blessing, to be sure.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Ali Sama
Initiate

Post by Ali Sama »

Petrosjko wrote: Snipped wonderful post by Petrosjko for room to type.
Mixed blessing, to be sure.
Another problem would be when the people the child can associate with tend to see them as a treath and smudder them. Make them feel like loosers etc.
Having very little support structure to fall upon would drastically change the personality of the child. They would cacoon up. They woudl learn indirectly, through books, watching people etc. Stop participating yet deep inside wanting to. It is hard for them to find a place to fit in. As they cannot find someone who can talk on their level. It leads to depression, anxiety other social and mental disorders.
They assume too much at times and it usually leads to mistakes. I think it all depends on how they develop not only intelectually but spiritually(not religion though it can be a part of it). It is a very hard road. They expect nothing but the best from themseleves yet give everyone else the benefit of the doubt. i wonder how a person like that would start to fix things. Maybey a walkabout(ithink that is what it's called) like how they do it in australia?
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."

My live Journal
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Ali Sama wrote:i wonder how a person like that would start to fix things.
When I figure it out I'll let you know.
Josh

Post by Josh »

I think it's one of the greatest things about the net, because it's a rather blind place. Yeah, it's loaded with drama, con artists and predators, but developmentally advanced kids can find a place to associate with their intellectual peers without having the stigma of being a teenager play so heavily against them, so long as proper care is taken to guard against the aforementioned bad stuff.

Now, when it comes to adjusting to life, that's just something that everyone has to work out. Civilization gives us the luxury of wandering about while we figure out what to do with ourselves, because we're not having to fight for every scrap of survival. The 'problem' is that we're a species that evolved thriving on competition and fighting for our place on the ecosystem, and when we don't have that sort of pressure on us, we drift and create it artificially by fighting among ourselves. Of course, a large degree of competitiveness is necessary to keep us from becoming stagnant and collapsing in self-serving ennui, though.

That's all drifting away from the topic, however.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Ali Sama
Initiate

Post by Ali Sama »

Petrosjko wrote:I think it's one of the greatest things about the net, because it's a rather blind place. Yeah, it's loaded with drama, con artists and predators, but developmentally advanced kids can find a place to associate with their intellectual peers without having the stigma of being a teenager play so heavily against them, so long as proper care is taken to guard against the aforementioned bad stuff.

Now, when it comes to adjusting to life, that's just something that everyone has to work out.
Also lots of miscommunication as well. A blind place also has it's drawbacks as well. People forget that their behavior has a consequence and that they need to treat people as people and not as a bot or a script. If people behaved in real life how they behaved on the net. There would be so many fights that our population would shrink by a good number. lol.
Stofsk wrote:
Ali Sama wrote:i wonder how a person like that would start to fix things.
When I figure it out I'll let you know.
danka
Last edited by Ali Sama on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My live Journal
Josh

Post by Josh »

The net's weird that way. At once it's distant and impersonal, yet ends up being highly intimate because people feel more free to share themselves online. And yeah, they do tend to be a lot more confrontational and belligerent from the safe confines of their computer desks than in person.