Anybody up for an FSTGOD?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Lia
Acolyte

Post by Lia »

I've never done this sort of thing before, but it looks rather interesting and I'd like a piece of the action. Preferably somewhere around what appears to be Florida, as it looks like a prime spot for marshland.

If this isn't standard races only, I'd rather like a chance to puzzle out the culture of my plant-people, and therefore require marshland.

And yes, it's that Lia, if you recognize that name from anywhere, Exileman and Rogue 9.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

There are no limits on race as long as you don't create a race of Supermen clones or something that unbalenced.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Lia
Acolyte

Post by Lia »

Le ugh. I do think Superman's quite bad enough as he is. I do prefer avoiding worlds where there are multiples. As long as I can have my partly photosynthetic friends, I'll be quite happy. I shall be sure to double-check things.
Exileman
Acolyte

Post by Exileman »

Aaah. I was wondering if our harper friend would get you involved. Photosynthetic hmm? Bit of an advantage in that the enemy can't ever steal your food ;) I plan on using primarily humans, of course by humans, i mean my nation is composed entirely of kryptonians. How sad for me, then, that this planet has a red sun :( Merely a jest of course. I do have some plans for non humans, but that's all hush hush right now.
FEAR THE VALUE OF X!
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Considerably less empty now.

I shall be using my Kainan. Now which version to use. The humanoid version, or the giant lizards of death. Both have their advantages and disadvantages...
Last edited by Charon on Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Are we keeping the Rockie and Applican mountain ranges?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

I was thinking yes.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:Are we keeping the Rockie and Applican mountain ranges?
I was picking my local based on it.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I would say that's pretty much a yes then. I just wanted to make sure we didn't have any magical disappearing mountain ranges that only cover a single small kingdom or something.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Confederacy of Dusk

Symbol: A yellow sun in an orange background over crescent moon, horns down, with a blue background.

Territory: Gulf coast through the forested interior to the base of the Rockies (most of the Forest of Night). The land consists mostly of forest with some cleared and cultivated areas around human habitation.

Government
: The Witch King Malevan's rule is theoretically based on the consensus of tribes. In reality, it would require a substantial majority of the chieftains to repudiate the Witch King, an event that is unlikely to ever happen. The tribal ties are now mostly ceremonial, with the elected chieftainships now being associated mostly with various public offices.

Population centers: The six towns, each one the traditional center of one of the tribes. Smaller towns, villages, and farmsteads, dot the land

Trade:

Imports: Fine steel, precious metals, fine cloth, spices, horses
Exports: fruit, furs, amber, timber, fish, silk, and magical substances (mostly health related).

Religion: Minor offerings are made to the lumen, benevolent spirits who are inclined to aid humanity. Worship of the local gods, cruel beings who demand blood sacrifice and worse, is punishable by death. This punishment hasn't been known to be imposed in one hundred years.

History: The tribes came the the land ages ago. It was a rich and concealed magical treasures within its depths, but perilous as well. Nightgaunts, quicksilver ghosts, swarm spiders, morden panthers, nand bears and worse things stalked the night. Cruel gods demanded sacrifice or inflicted torments. Witches learned the strange magic of the land and could provide some protection as well as make use of the magical substances to be found in the forest. The lumen were discovered and they provided a measure of relief as well. The tribes were a strong people and so prospered despite the trials. And so things remained for centuries.

Then Malevan came, a stranger from a far land. He wielded magic that was not of the land. He fought the creatures of the night, collecting rewards and venturing to seize the treasures of the forest. He learned the magic of the land from witches and the lumen in the house he built, Torchbearer Hall.

From there he trained others in his ways, the first Firebearers. Men and women flocked to his banner and he began a campaign to push back the creatures of the night. The hidden society of priests made to wipe him out by surprise, but Malevan and his followers were warned by the lumen and met darkness and death with fire and light.

In the depths of the wood he found and bargained with Azzerekess the Night Dragon and warred with the gods, slaying them or reducing them to shadow. His following elevation to kingship was inevitable.

Military Forces:

Militia lead by professional warrior class (thanes) and their retainers (armsmen) forms the bulk of the Confederacy's forces. The force includes witches capable of healing, blessings, and cursing.

Rangers act to maintain the protective fetishes, keep the roads safe, and keep the nightborn in check. They can also be mustered as irregular archers. Knowledge of witchcraft and minor charms is common among them.

The Shining Knights and the Hallowed Ones (heavy infantry) are the Witch-King's household troops and military elite.

The Firebearers are sorcerers who incorporate working knowledge fo the magic of the land, mostly to do with the manipulation of magicals substances, darkness, despair, warding against nightspawn, and death and mastery of the more traditional sorcery brought to the land by Ilthan (emphasis on fire, light, and protection).

The Nightmare Cavaclade consists of the nightspawn bound and compelled by the Witch King. They are normally kept in a secret prison.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

The Netherese Republic

The city of Paltar, a huge, sprawling metropolis built on all of the surfaces of an uprooted mountain, serves as the mobile capital of the Netherese Republic, a nation situated on the southern shore of the continent, and widely known for it's use of magic. Patterned after the city that transported itself through time and space to escape utter disaster, the Republic is governed by numerous laws and an elected council. The council requires members of various professions to ensure all citizens are properly represented, and rarely are entirely new laws passed.

The most prominent law within the boundaries is simple, and to most of the continent, shocking: Everyone must learn some magic. This has resulted in a sprawling public education system, to ensure that even the poorest worker can learn some simple cantrahs to ease his work and acheive greater results. Several universities have been established to facilitate the few who show true arcanist potential.

Population centres: Paltar. Numerous farming communities, ports, and centers of learning on the ground.

Trade Imports: Fruit, crystals of all kinds, precious metals.
Exports: Steel, silk, spices, coal, magical curiousities.

Religion: No state religion. While the natives of the Enclave Paltar worship Mystryl, they do not know if she is alive or dead. Those of surface lineage tend to worship local nature deities.

History

For the farming communities that stretched to the south of the Appalachians, live had been peaceful for generations. Regular tides and warm weather guaranteed plentiful crops. Then came the dark times. Orcs, ogres, and worse descended on the region, enslaving the inhabitants and reaping the benefits of the commnities. As the years wore on, whole generations knew only the suffering of their tyrannical humanoid masters, and even the half-breeds lived in terror.

The night known now as The Arrival remains an almost mythical occourance. The seas boiled, stormclouds gathered and reflected every colour in the rainbow. Magic sparked from every scrap of metal. As one, the humans and halfbreeds turned their heads to the sky. Their masters took several moments to realize what they were looking at, as a vast portal spell opened and a flying mountain, covered with a city, emerged into the world.

The war that followed was brutal. The inhabitants of the city had been fleeing disaster, but upon finding primitive humans enslaved, immediately took to arms. Devastating magical assaults blasted apart any military encampments, and the cities were cleansed with squads of volunteers armed with terrifying wands.

As the smoke cleared, the new arrivals were hailed as saviors. The long, painful process of rebuilding was accelerated as the citydwellers shared their magic, and soon the lands were providing again. The ogres and orcs fled beyond the mountains, never to be seen again. The halfbreeds, having been treated no better during the cruel period of tyranny, were initially viewed with suspicion by the people of Paltar, but eventually were accepted.

Military: The Republic's military is small, and there's no surprise as to why: The flying city of Paltar remains the most terrifying and efficient weapon in existance. Capable of travelling the length and breadth of the country in a day or two, it can rend entire armies to shreds from above.

The remaining military is designed for prolonged assaults and seiges, in an effort to ensure that the enemy does not make gains while the city travels. Armed with wands and alchemically treated armour, they are a small but professional force, primarily of volunteers.[/b]
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

If any of you have any ideas for a religion that can be used by other nations as a commonality between the two or that I can throw at a few NPC states, feel free to put it here or tell us mods about it.

For example, CT and I have come up with a religion that we shall be sharing and that I will likely be putting into a few NPC states that are around my nation.

Name: The Holy Church of Dahhok

Place of Power: The Koronan Empire (This can be none should you choose)

Spoken Language of Religion: Pendran (This, as well, can be none should you choose)

History: Founded 600 years ago by the humans living within the Koronan Empire, through missionary work and conquest the Holy Church of Dahhok has grown to be the official religion of many states, and has small followings in many others.

Belief Structure: "There is but one god worthy of worhip and that god is Dahhok." While the Church of Dahhok does not state that there are no other gods but Dahhok, it believes that these other gods are inferior to the 'One God'. As such worship of other gods, or, heaven forbid, a multitude of gods is seen as heretical. Dahhok himself is worshipped in one of his three forms. That of the warrior, that of the scholar, or that of the family man. Each of these forms are worshipped more or less equally, though this can change between times of war and times of peace, or if a famine or plague is running through the state. Dahhok is worshipped as a benevolent god, bringing good cheer and moral wealth to those who worship him, and helping his worshippers against those who do not believe in him.

As a counterpoint to Dahhok is the three unnamed daemons. Representing hate, cowardice, and ignorance. Legends say that deep within the vaults of the Central Ecclesiarchy lies tomes which name these daemons. But out of fear of even these creatures names they have been lost to the ages.

Those who die are cremated, their ashes thrown to a strong North wind where they will be collected by Dahhok's servants and either be judged wholesome worshippers join Dahhok to become one of his many servants. Those who are not judged worthy are buried deep into the earth where they will serve some good as fertilization for the ground.

The Holy Church of Dahhok believes heavily in conversion attempts and has many missionaries across the continent, working in their churches to spread the word of Dahhok and his prophets teachings. Some nations do this vigilently and sometimes aggresively, other nations take a far more lax view of conversion attempts.

Heirarchy: The head of The Holy Church of Dahhok is called the Holy Father. He is said to speak directly with Dahhok on matters of the faith and is taken to be the wisest of men even when not directly inspired. Below the Holy Father is the Council of Head Fathers, serving as a council to speak the wills of mere mortals, each Head Father controls a large territory of the churches. Below them are the Fathers, who control a smaller circle of churches and direct the actions of these groups of churches, watching over the multitude, they often serve as Inquisitors when daemonic possession is thought to have occured. At the lowest rank are the Councilors who preach the word of Dahhok directly to the people and are charged with leading them away from the darkness and towards the light.
Last edited by Charon on Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Fisher
Adept

Post by Agent Fisher »

The Agon Holds

Symbol: A black dragon on a green background.

Terrain: Five provinces situtated in the mountains.

Government: The Realm is ruled by a council of 15 Dragon Riders. Each province is under the control of a smaller council of three of the Riders.

Religion: Worship of the Great Mother Dragon, the being that gave birth to all of the land.

History: Many years ago, the people of the tribes warred among themselves, until one day, a young witch came across a wounded dragon. She healed it and in doing so was bound to the dragon. With the help of the dragon, she united the warring tribes, and peace reigned. To help keep the peace, she recruited the three best magic weilders from each tribe; each was bound to a dragon, and they formed the ruling council. By having three from each tribe, no one tribe was stronger than the others. Now the Riders keep the peace and watch over the realm.

Military: The Military has three levels. The Dragon Riders form the highest level. They are the elite, the nobilty of the realm. Below them is the Standing Army. This is a small, but highly competent force. And below them are the peasants. Called during war time, these men have little to no training, their only real advantage is simple numbers.
Last edited by Agent Fisher on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morpheus:I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me but because of the path that lies behind me.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

The Taurian

Symbol Axe with bullhorns

Territory Heavily urban coast on the western side of the inner sea, rural inland areas, plains and light forest.

Population Centers 12 cities on the coast.

Exports Cattle, Leather, Rice, Corn, Cotton, Dyes

Imports Iron, fruit, copper, silk, silver, horses

Government The Taurain are ruled by a PriestKing and PriestessQueen who are selected by a series of magical religious rituals. They are then married and expected to rule jointly. While it is not required they have children, it is considered a good omen and sign of favor if they do. Below them stand the various priest and priestess who govern Taurian life. The priesthood declares when to plant, when to harvest, whether more land is cleared or not, dispeases justice, etc, etc. While there are landed nobles and wealthy merchants political power rest solely with the priest/esshoods. The center of each city, town or village is the temple or shrine. Landed Nobles control the cotton and Cattle herds and own estates inland, mostly serving in the military or diplomatic affairs having little place in the domenstic heirarchy. In the cities merchants led counsils that advise the priest and assit the day to day affiars of running the city. Weavers, Dyers and Merchants tend to dominate these counsils with dockworkers a close 2nd.

History Long ago, in the dark times of the world, we were held in boundage and cried out for deliverance. The Ilithian Empire, treated us as cattle and beasts of the field and we were afraid. But it came to be in that dark stillness, among the fires of the slaves a stranger appeared. He named himself Taur and spoke of a Great God who would deliver us and a Great Goddess who kept a land for our dwelling. They would be our gods and we would be their People, if we had faith enough. Many nights pasted and the men and women were led away from the fires into the darkness and brought into the secrets of Altian and Mairen, the God and the Goddess. The people remained silent towards their masters, not one spoke even as they were devoured. Finially came the day, the people did not appear to their appointed tasks, they did not appear on the word of their rulers. Instead they rallied in the fields and cried out for Divine favor. The snake-men appeared before the people and demanded submission and recieved it not. So they massed their armies and the men and women cried out to the God and Goddess. The earth shook and a great storm rent the sky, the snakemen were burned and the earth swallowed them up. The people trembled in awe and gave thanks. On the urging of Taur they gathered up their children, cattle and goods and fled to the north. When they had fled beyond the reach of the Ilithian Empire they recieved an omen, seeing a star cast down into the Inner sea. They stopped and built the first city. Taur ruled well over the people and they multiplied and grew and when he reached a great old age Taur died and was gathered to his rest and the voice of Altian, the God, spoke out to the people. In remember of Taur and all he did for you, I shall name you Taurian and his memory shall be a witness to you and his spirit a reminder to me, until the end of all things.

Religion: The Taurian worship 4 gods and 4 goddess. Each is served by a priesthood or a priestesshood. The PriestKing and PriestessQueen can come from any of these orders. The dieties are listed below.

Altian: head of the pantheon, creator of the universe and lord of the sky, stars and storms. His symbols are the Ax and the Bull. Liberator of the Taurian, he is a somewhat distant god and is not prayed to often by the common people unless disaster has struck. The PriestKing sacrifices a bull to him 3 times a year, at the beginning and end of storm season and on the celebration of liberation.

Mairen: Lady of the pantheon, earth goddess, protector of farmers, lady of growing things. Her symbols are the staff and bushel of grain. She is more frequently worshiped then her husband especially by the farmers of the inlands areas and weavers and dyers of the coastal lands. While she is sacrificed to often year around her major sacrifices are during planting, harvest and the celebration of liberation.

Lairen: Eldest daughter of the two, the herald of spring, lady of rains, streams and rivers. Born when Altian first sent the rains to quench the thirst of Mairen. She is sacrificed to on the first day of spring, the ceremony is performed by a virgin priestess and farmers daughters. Her symbol is a raindrop and blooming flowers. She is known to watch over new born children and newly born animals.
Beltian: Eldest son of the two, Lord of Fire and Summer. His father's closest Lieutenant , he stands at Altian's right hand and punishes the wicked who have offended his father. Judges pray to him, as do those who have been wronged. His symbol is the flame and the hammer.

Vorltian: Last born of the family, Lord of Winter and the deep, dark Wilds. A savage godling who is believed to run the wilds around the nation, he hunts slavers, kin killers and rapist at the head of a mighty pack of pure white wolves. He grants frenzied strength and manic will to those who please him and his priest are often found in battle. His symbol is the sword and white wolves. His priests over time develop pure white hair and never go bald.

Annairen: The middle daughter, the wise goddess, she whispers council and advice, leads generals to victory and mages to wisdom. She taught women to weave cotton and men how to create dyes. Her symbol is the spear and the loom. She is prayed to often, especially to by students and is considered a patron of wisdom seekers or problem solvers. She especially loves cities.

Cailtian: The middle son, the herdsmen who teaches men how to correctly care for their cattle and horses. The horsemen of the interior swear by him and maintain alters to him on the routes their herds travel. He also watches over travelers and enforces guest rights and host laws. He is known to test men by appearing as a battered old one eyed man in a grey cloak and hood, asking to stay as a guest at their fires. He rewards those who treats travelers kindly and punishes those who abuse them. His season is autumn and his symbols are a horse shoe and horsemen mace.

Wynniren: The youngest daughter and perhaps the favored of the nation. She is the lady of healing, love and mercy. Her priestess use their power to heal the sick and injuried. Those in love pray to her as do the sick and afflicted. She teaches and encourages men and women to be kind and faithful to one another. Her symbols are a pair of empty outstretched hands and the shield.

More information forthcoming.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Hylidaeus

Territory: The area surrounding lakes Crysalmir and Kalifrost.

Symbol: A blue webbed hand on green background.

Abstract:

Hylidaeus is a nation set into the rolling forested hills and fertile valleys surrounding the mountain fed lakes Crysalmir (the larger one) and Kalifrost (the lsmaller one). They worship the god Dahhok, who has three aspects. A nurturing aspect, who concerns himself with morality, fertility and the family; an aggressive war-loving aspect who concerns himself with law enforcement, warfare and logistics, and a scholarly aspect who concerns himself with magic, law, and knowledge and organization.

Racial information:

The Hylidaeians are Tree Frog people, plain and simple. The millennia old result of the experimentations of a mage who liked frogs far more than any person had the right. He magically crossed a local species of
Tree frog with humans and created this hybrid. The Hylidaeians stand on average about a foot taller than human height. Their arms and legs are longer by about a foot for the legs and six inches for each arm than human arms and legs. They also have elongated fingers and toes, with special climbing pads on their ends and webbing between the toes. They have more frog-like heads, with a frog like wide mouth, a long extendable tongue, and large forward facing eyes which bulge out slightly.

They spawn at the beginning of winter in lakes Crysalmir and Kalifrost, in a massive Spawning Festival to the Nurturing Aspect of Dahhok. Each adult who is able, goes to the lake they grew up in to spawn. Each male sets up a territory and makes a shrill call which attracts females. When a female arrives in his territory, typically a stretch of shallow water no more than 5 meters from the water’s edge. They engage in conversation, introductions and the like. If the female is willing to mate (the male most certainly is) they mate in deep water, able to hold their breath for considerable lengths of time and respire through the skin. Fertilization is internal and is done by typical humanoid mating with a penis and vagina, whole nine yards. However, the eggs are laid a few minutes after copulation in clumps attached to submerged vegetation. The female is capable of holding eggs from being fertilized and thus fertilize different sets of eggs with different mates. The eggs, of which a single female may lay several dozen but with a high mortality rate, hatch in about a week into little six inch long larvae which metamorphose into toddler size froglets in about a year. Their metamorphosis is timed to coincide with the next festival. The young are then adopted by couples leaving the festival the net morning. The Hylidaeians are sexually very promiscuous, but socially monogamous, they either go as a couple, or form a pair bond with an unattached conspecific they have mated with, and leave as a couple, with adopted offspring. The young then take around 16 years to reach sexual maturity and if they wish, participate in Spawning Festivals. Mating does occur between festivals and sex is recreational. However, the female is not fertile during these periods.

Due to genetic drift, this had led to two color morphs. A green skinned red eyed morph, and a yellow skinned blue eyed morph, referred to as Crysals and Frostians respectively.

As far as physical abilities are concerned, the Hyliaeians are accomplished climbers, jumpers and swimmers, as befitting their magical and amphibian heritage. An average adult male is capable of jumping ten to fifteen feet straight up, and twenty to thirty feet horizontally. He can hold his breath for up to an hour, and is capable of climbing trees and rock faces without mechanical aids or abundant hand or footholds, as well as having excellent night vision. However, they are vulnerable to cold ambient temperatures due to a lack of a cutaneous fat layer, and their skin is permeable to water. They secrete a waxy substance which mediates this at average temperatures, but it beads off at higher temperatures leaving them open to rapid dehydration under poor conditions.

Government:

The government of Elasime is a combination of Magocracy, Theocracy, and a guild-based representative democracy depending on what branch of government one looks at. The major guilds of each city or town select from their members a representative to go to the municipal guild council meeting. From there they split into committees which decide on issues related to the general governance of their set of trades (the mercantile guilds all participate in business regulation for example) From each of these committees the council sends one member to the national council which meets in the city of Crysalisian, the capitol. This serves as the Legislative Branch. The Executive branch is controlled by the Mage guild, who take no part in the legislative proceeding. Each large municipality is governed by an Archmagus (same you will see in the army) who has command over the city garrison and the legion stationed in the castle which lies at the heart of any given walled city. Smaller towns are governed by a Magus, and protected by the fact that the towns are built into trees, as well as any legion on maneuvers in the area. The judiciary is run by the church. Clerics who focus upon the Scholarly aspect of the god Dahhok serve as lawyers and judges. With a group of citizens acting as a jury.

History: The realm of Hylidaeus had a rather odd start. Around a thousand years ago, the mad mage Ranus created a hybrid between tree frogs and the human barbarians which lived in the area. The resulting humanoids were intelligent and possessed a mix of human and amphibian features. They also possessed due to the magical nature of their creation, a talent for channeling magic. The mad mage had more an interest in creating such chimeras than actually doing anything with them, and they were left to their own devices in the thousands, due to their mother stock being frog eggs. Eventually, they established themselves near the largest sources of permanent water and started to make lives for themselves. They founded the cities of Crysalisian, and Kalifrostan. Eventually Ranus died and they were truly alone. Until a few centuries ago when missionaries from the Koronan empire arrived, bringing the gospel of Dahhok with them. The Hylidaeians, having no religion, but an innate human desire for a solid belief structure, converted in droves. The way they worshiped their new God was slightly different than the missionaries would have preferred, but it did not approach heresy. Eventually, the Hylidaeians started to spread out from the lakes. Branching along the rivers which fed them and into the countryside. Founding new towns and villages as they went, all of them built into the trees.

However, they encountered natives who lived in these lands. Humans who would not tolerate strange people living in their midst. They waged war upon the Hylidaeians, who fought back with sword, spell, and prayer. It was during this time that the organization unit called the Legion was born. It’s flexible nature, and internal discipline allowed the Hylidaeians to crush their opposition and take control of their current territory.

Religion and Culture:

The God Dahhok is not just one deity. He has three aspects. All of them Dahhok. Dahhok the Family Man concerns himself with family, fertility and living the Good Life. The Hylidaeians worship him not through active prayer or entering the clergy, but by trying to uphold his ideals. That family comes first, that others should be treated with kindness and compassion, truth is a valuable thing. He concerns himself with safety as well, and the proper functioning of systems. Father Asmodeus is the only known priest of Dahhok the Family Man who exists among the Hylidaeians. And he is the Inquisitor, who keeps the people safe from lies and subversion. There is one major festival to Dahhok the Nurturer, and that is the annual Spawning Festival

Dahhok the Scholar’s portfolio consists of knowledge, wisdom and law. As well as magic and organization. He is worthiped through doing business, perusing master of the arts, sciences, magic and mathematics. He is also worshiped in the courts, where his clergy hold sway as Lawyers and Judges. There are no festivals to the Scholar, save for every time someone opens a book, or begins a court proceeding, or creates a work of art.

Dahhok the Warrior is fairly self explanatory. He concerns himself with war, religious missionary work, self defense and law enforcement, and military logistics. He is the source of the church’s missionary impulse. And also the source of the Battle-Clerics and other armor clad clergy seen in the Country’s line of battle.

The sect of the church of Dahhok found in Hylidaeus is somewhat different than the main church however. Partially because they are a different species, and partially because of the distance. This causes them to occasionally be seen as Mavericks by the rest of the church. For example, the court system, while run by clergy is not and so far as they are concerned, never will be controlled by the church proper. The Hylidaeians are a pragmatic people and the best person for the job tends to get it. This means that the clergy, who have access to truth spells, tend to run the courts. If the main church in the Koronan empire tries to influence part of a trial, they will be rebuffed as it is not the place of the church to decide matters of guilt or innocence, only to determine such, and only the priest who handles the affairs can hope to determine that.

Towns: There are 4 major cities in Hylidaeus. The Capitol Crysalisian, and her sister city Kalifrostan which lay on opposite sides of the stretch of land between the two lakes. As well as two outlying cities. Elesime which lies on the far southeastern border, and Alaksar which is on the northern border. Each of these cities is built into the branches of the massive fire resistant Ironwood trees native to the region. And is surrounded by a clearing or no man’s land which can be watched for traveling merchants as well as armies. The cities themselves are walled.

Provisonal Military stats based on Major power designation

A legion: 4000 heavy Infantry (3000 maces, 1000 pikes)
1000 longbowmen
10 Magi (1 pt)
1 Arch magus (1.5 pt) (named character)
12.5 pts per legion
7 legions

Troops descriptions

Heavy Infantry 3 pts per 2000
Arms: Mace or 6 meter pike, with a long sword as a backup
Armor: heavy chainmail, kettle drum helmet with a steel shield(if no pike) mall round shield strapped to arm if armed with a pike

Longbowmen 4 pts per 1000
Arms: Longbow, short sword
Armor:Leather armor,
Longbowmen are not heavily armored and thus are able to take advantage of the racial abilities of the Hylidaeians while in their gear. In addition, their longbows are of composite construction for better range and penetrative power.

Magic

Magi 10 in each legion. 1/10 of a point 1 pts per legion
Arms: Spells, quarter staff, dagger
Armor: spells, robes
Spells: Remove Fear 3, Cause fear 3, Sleep 3, Elemental Missiles 3, Armor self 3, armor other 3 mass armor other 2, protection from arrows 3, wind wall cinder cone 3, protection from energy 3, levitate. Flaming sphere 2, invisibility, displacement. Improved counterspell. Apparition. Fireball 2, lighting bolt 2, fire shield, wall of fire,, stoneskin. chain lighting 1, energy immunity, spell turning, spell mantle. Illusory terrain. Cure major wounds, cause major wounds, mass cure light wounds.

Special abilities: Can take advantage of froggyness.

Archmagus 1.5 each
Arms: Spells, quarter staff, dagger
Armor: spells, robes
Spells: Remove Fear 4, Cause fear 4, Sleep 4, Elemental Missiles 4, Armor self 4, armor other 4 mass armor other 3, protection from arrows 4, wind wall cinder cone 4, protection from energy 4, levitate. Flaming sphere 3, invisibility, displacement.. Apparition. Fireball 3, lighting bolt 3, fire shield, wall of fire,, stoneskin. chain lighting 2, energy immunity, spell turning, spell mantle. Improved spell mantle, spell immunity, iron guard, disintegrate. Wall of force illusory terrain, illusory host, disjoin. Heal, Harm, Mass Cure Wounds, Waves of fatigue, waves of Renewal, telekinesis. Telekinetic wave.

Special Abilities: Can place curses on individuals, working in concert they can alter weather patters and lay grand magical effects. Can control area effect spells to not harm friendly troops. Can take advantage of froggyness

City defenses: Each of the four major cities has a permanent garrison of 1500 Medium infantry, and 1000 Crossbowmen. And is surrounded by a 40 foot high (measured at the wall walk), 10 foot thick masonry rubble composite wall(standard construction for the medieval period) with 55 foot high towers set at regular intervals. Both towers, and walls are capped with crenellated battlements and there are several well fortified gatehouses controlling entrance. (Note: talked to rogue, a standard city wall like this shouldn’t cost any extra unless one goes overboard with them. Same with fortresses. They provide a tactical advantage, but are useless without soliders in them we have already paid for)

Smaller towns have smaller garrisons. Towns typically have a garrison of 100 medium infantry, and 50 crossbowmen, and are surrounded by an earthen wall faced with a n ironwood stockade,

Medium Infantry: 2 pts per 2000
Arms: Halberd, longsword
Armor: Chainmail hauberk, conical helmet

Crossbowmen 2 pts per 1000
Arms: Crossbow, shortsword
Armor: Ringmail.

18 points spent

Father Asmodeus: Church Inquisitor (2 points)
Arms: Morning Star spells
Armor; Brigadine and chain, Conical Helmet, steel shield spells
Spells: Zone of truth, Detect Lies, Dominate Person, Apparition, Dreamscape, Dreamwalk, Holy Strike2, Holy Shield2, Detect thoughts, hold person, displacement, silence, telekinesis. Heal, harm, implosionm..

Elsazar. Head of the Conclave. (2 pts)
Arms:longsword, spells
Armor: robes, spells
Spells: there isn’t much this guy cant do.
Special abilities: as archmagus

4 pts spent

There are seven fortresses placed at strategic locations around Hylidaeus. They are of the standard keep and bailey model. They typically have a 40 foot curtain wall, 55 foot tower are regular intervals, and a single well defended gatehouse. The keep is a 65 foot tall square structure with a 80 foot tower on each corner. The door is situated 20 feet above the ground and is approached by a causeway which runs up the wall. The causeway itself does not reach the door. Rather, it stops 7 feet from the door.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

The Holy Kingdom of Saint Steven

Symbol: Golden cross on a black background.

Government: Monarchy. The King is named after and has a direct lineage to Saint Steven, who brought the tribes together originally. There is a nobility and clergy, and a large mass of common folk.

Terrain: Mostly plains, fertile grounds good for farming and breeding horses. Some forests and hilly areas. One mountain (Eagle Mountain) near the Great Lake. The Kingdom's main urban centres are situated near the Great Lake, and benefit from fishing as well as trading over the waters. Though most trade takes place through the use of caravan traders.

History: The tribes were migratory, and settled on the land because it was fertile and bountiful. Saint Steven was chosen by the Seraphim, mysterious angelic beings of light, to settle the land. To help him they used their powers to call herds of horses to the land, and the Kingdom has relied on their equine servants ever since.

Military: The Kingdom's main offensive force is it's hussar cavalry, who patrol the plains and can react quickly to any incursion. They are usually armed with lances and swords. Quicker, light cavalry raiders (archers on horseback) provide light skirmishing to harass and discourage invaders. A peasant levy provides the infantry for the Kingdom.

Eagle Mountain provides an aerie for giant eagles, who have been tamed by the St Stevens for use as elite airborne cavalry. These special mounts are provided to noblemen who are committed to defending the Kingdom and thus provide much needed air support for the ground forces.

There are no real siege engines available to the Kingdom. They do not conduct massive land invasions, prefering instead to raid and harass with their skirmishers. It is a particular strategic shortsight which may or may not be corrected in the future.

The only other force that the Kingdom has are it's battleclerics, who call upon the grace of Saint Steven and the Seraphim to provide buffs, protective wards and healing enchantments to their troops.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Welcome Stosfk. Hope Charon can get you up on the map soonish. Folks if you know anyone else who might enjoy this, now's the time to bring em in.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Indeed. Because I'm going to start putting the NPC states in. I've already put in the two big ones (The Ilithian Empire and one that is not yet named).

Stofsk, I fit you in fine. Gotta say though, the South is getting kinda crowded folks, unless you want states to start being in direct contact with one another. Anybody else, I'd appreciate if you took something by Cat, Harper, or Rogue.
Last edited by Charon on Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Due to the wonders of cutting edge naval techonogly (i.e a sail) Rogue, Lia and I can interact quiet well. The ocean we're sitting next to basically functions like the Med did for Greeks, Romans and others.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, here's the preliminary points system, mostly courtesy of Charon and Frigid. Thanks, guys.

Infantry:

.5 pts = 2000 Skirmishers, sling men, javlieners, etc, no armor, no shields, handweapons (swords, axes, maces, etc)
1 pts = 2000 light infantry, no to leather armor, small shields, handweapons
2pts = 2000 medium infantry, Leather to scale/chainmail, shields, handweapons, pikes or 2 handed weapons.
3pts = 2000 heavy infantry, chainmail, shields, handweapons, pikes, or 2 handed weapons

Cavalry:

1pt = 500 light cavalry/horse archers, no to light armor, horses unarmored, spears, hand weapons.
2pts = 500 medium cavalry, leather to scale/chain mail, shields, handweapons, bows, lances, horses lightly armored
3pts = 500 heavy cavalry chain mail, sheilds, handweapons, bows, lances.
Horses fully armored

Archers:

1pt= 1000 shortbows. leather armor, shortbow, handweapon
2pts= 1000 crossbows, leather armor, crossbow, handweapon
3pts= 1000 longbows, leather armor, long bow, handweapon.

Navy:

1pt= 20 Scout ships, (unsure on approximate weapon loadout), light and fast, skirmishing and scouting.
2pt= 20 Light Warships, (unsure on approximate weapon loadout), Medium build, sea warfare.
3pt+ 20 Heavy Warships, (unsure on approximate weapon loadout), Heavily reinforced timber, sea warfare or troop transport.

Siege Weapons:

Ballista-
1pt= 10 Light Ballista, anti-infantry and cavalry work.
2pt= 10 Medium Ballista, fortress sieges.
3pt= 10 Anti-Air ballista, taking down air units.

Onager-
1pt= 10 Light Onager, Easily transported but not strong.
2pt= 10 Medium Onager, siege of fortresses.
3pt= 10 Heavy Onager, destroy heavily fortified objects.

Trebuchet-
2pt= 10 Light Trebuchet, Improved accuracy and distance over Onager.
3pt= 10 Heavy Trebuchet, destroys practically anything it pleases.

Magic:
Magic is mostly left up to the players and characters. There are limitations; while sorcery can be powerful, wizards are still capped at two points just like other unique characters; see below. They will not be able to decimate entire armies by themselves. Charon's idea is to have dragons attracted to high magic to serve as beating sticks for the moderators if someone's magic gets too out of control.

Divination is an inexact magic at best, and you can expect most fortresses and major cities to be shielded against it in some way. Communication magic works fine, albeit on a limited scale.

Unique Characters:

1pt= A champion, a small-time hero or perhaps lesser general of an army.
2pt= A hero, a champion of your country, an extremely powerful mage or the best warrior(s) of your country.

Experience or Better Equipment:
A unit's experience, access to superior equipment, or superior training is shown through extra point expenditure past the original cost. This cannot exceed the initial point cost + 3.

Points breakdown by nation strength is as follows:

Minor Power: 50
Regional Power: 80
Major Power: 110
Grand Power: 140

We still need to work up a per-season growth scale. Any ideas on a good formula to use are appreciated.

Obviously, not everyone can have a major or grand power. The percentage difference between the various power levels is smaller than last time, and keep in mind that there are tactical considerations beyond sheer point value that affect the outcome of battles.

Any ideas or suggestions are still welcome. I'll be gone for most of the day today, so I'll come back to address whatever comes up tonight.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

I'd meant that there would be a single dragon that would serve as the beating stick. Dragons in general will still be allowed by the players without having to worry about that.
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Charon wrote:I'd meant that there would be a single dragon that would serve as the beating stick. Dragons in general will still be allowed by the players without having to worry about that.
Well, yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Masterharper
Apprentice

Post by Masterharper »

Hyoog post. I'd compress it if you guys had like, a spoiler function. But it is not so! Not quite as polished as I'd like, but I figured I'd get it up here.

Arcto-Morka-Morsum.

Symbol: A Compass rose, slashed by a bear’s claw.

General: Urskan—or The Morkan, as this race of bipedal, intelligent bears call themselves—are a culturally rich race which currently inhabit the northernmost Peninsula of our continent—what we would call the aluetian islands. Morkan are omnivorous, industrious, albeit occasionally violent. They are larger than normal creatures, roughly the size of a large polar bear. Finding it quite easy getting around on two or four legs, dependant entirely upon the mood of the individual, as well as being accomplished swimmers. Morkan are quite intelligent, despite rumours, and capable of working their own forms of magic. Hailing from such a cold and unforgiving environment, Morkan ignore the effects of winter’s chill, as well as dangers presented by arctic waters, even upon the coldest nights. Morkan are neither nocturnal nor Diurnal, as many of their own—and especially their ancestors reigned from the farthest reaches of north, not knowing night and day.

Location: Northernmost Penninsula and the surrounding ice and sea.

Exports: Whale oil, whale leather, raw timber, ivory, furs, salt.
Imports: worked steel, silk/fine cloth, glass.

Religion:
The Morkan (or Urskan) acknowledge many gods, believing that the races of the land were born of the stars. Each of the gods can be seen each evening, if one knows where to look for their forms among the stars.
Draco beget the mighty dragons, his wings cradling the sky: their domain.
Orion the loathsome hunter sired all men.
Tauros the Great Bull spawned the mighty horned creatures.
Ebulum (The Red dwarf) Seeded the earth with those who love to dig, delve, and mine.
Candida (The pale haired maiden) crafted the fair elves, to honor her lover :
Philyra, who was cursed with the eternal form of a tree, who’s branches seed all plants and cradle the world.
Aestus: Lord of the sea and her creatures his form is never seen but instead is the black that encompasses all the divine sparks that dot the night.
Caseus the amorphous: all other ‘lesser’ races came from this outcast son of Aestus and weakling.

Apart from a few Mammoth Trainers, and some of the more dedicated Sailors and Whalers, Morkans worship two gods:
Ursa Major and Ursa Minor. The Larger of the two, The Great Bear, represents strength, physical skill at arms, and the endurance and hardiness that is bred into every Morkan child, from the first day as a cub. Those who revere Major are warriors and chieftans. Brute force is often the answer to them, whether it be through claw, hammer, or iron boots. Ursa Major also reveres strategic warfare.

Ursa Minor represents something beyond physical might. The knowledge and intelligence that sets Morkans apart from everyday polar bears and the lesser races of men. This ursine deity focuses on rising above the brutality and savagery that permeates the beast races, though does not oppose conquering. Ursa Minor encourages the practice of Aurora Magic: An intricate and complicated power that the Morkans themselves can’t quite explain, save to say it occurs naturally to their shamans, and that they draw upon the rainbow of colors that illuminates their territory every night.

Aurora magic is a form of the mystic art that draws upon the icy spirits and unforgiving nature of the land, and the rainbow patterns and vivid, almost alive feature of the night sky above Morkan territory. Practitioners of the magic have a limited scope of abilities that are focues, and tend to be more powerful when cast under the shimmering glow of the Aurora Borealis—also known as the Helyanwey—itself. The scope of powers are extensive control of wind, darkening of the sky, weather (cold related, generally the creation of blizzard conditions through the cooperation of several, or many Aurora Magi.), and a dazzling array of rainbow oriented magic. Aurora mages have never been seen to hurl fireballs, or rain giant ice knives from the sky, but stronger individuals and covens have raised spiked battlements of ice, and even created dangerous, albeit temporary, ice beasts to defend their homes.

Finally, another aspect tieing the magic itself to the land, and the Morkan is: as the Morkan have settled south, so too has the Borealis grown brighter, and stronger over their territories. The temperatures where they settle drops, the lights grow bright, and the Children of Ursa revel as the icy soul of the land comes to life.

The Lands:
There are many geographical anomalies situated within the lands of the Morkan. Despite the deceptively small size of the peninsula, the icy plains to the north offer a great expanse more territory than one might guess. The island to the south and west, known as Gilidae is home to the sacred outdoor temple where Morkan trek across the ice every deadwinter in a pilgrimage to Ursa Major and Minor. Upon the island lives a great and giant polar bear, as smart as any man and capable of speech, thought, and Aurora magic. Helalsius, as she calls herself, teaches the magic to any Morkan who cares to make the journey, and is deemed worthy (often through a series of trials). The ancient bear is said to be a daughter of a union betwixt Ursa Major and Ursa Minor, sent as a blessing to their beloved.

Aquila-Arcus is, itself, an enigma to the uneducated. Certainly powerful mages have seen floating mountains, but there be no earth within this mass. A rainbow of colored ice—a veritable iceberg of the sky, riddled with caves in which the Morkan live their lives, above the ground—though many find the existence to be unsettling, and only the scholarly amongst them bother with the mere thought of even visiting Aquila Arcus. Morkan Aurora mages do regular magical maintenance on the thing growing lost ice, and strengthening the core of the thing. For the most part it’s sails—as the Skyberg is covered in sails, magical locomotion being too great of an investment for the Morkan, are operated at sub-staff levels. Aquila-Arcus is, more, a show of power to keep the local Ice Giant population in submission. It never leaves the ‘settled’ Borealis areas, and rarely travels at all, being quite slow and awkward. This is the only place non-Morkans (traders excepted) are tolerated in all the Morkum.

Most other Morkan villages are either coastal or situated within hills and mountains. The more peaceful minded among them live out their lives growing what crops will grow in the soil—mostly giant cabbages and other hardy vegetables, and whaling, logging, herding, and mining. Villages are Matriarchal in nature, with the leaders often being chosen by way of high priests in the temple of Ursa Minor, or even appointed by Helalsius herself. Rule is generally not draconian among Morkans themselves, but outsiders who step out of their bounds are often stripped of their belongings and thrown out to the elements—or into the icy ocean.

Whales are the heart of the Morkan coastal settlements—they use all parts of the creatures, for even with their great size and natural aptitude for swimming, hunting such beasts on the open seas is a dangerous endeavor at best. The oil is more often than not used in trade, as are the bones. Whale-meat is a staple food, and the blubber sees many utilitarian uses throughout the common Morkan household.

Morkan settled in the mountains live in great caves—sometimes natural formations, but more often than not hewn from the stone. It is here that Morkans mine for precious ores that they may work their precious metals into heavy armor and great weapons as well as tools—metal claws to enhance their own, and large hammers and harpoons. Morkans have a certain love for well wrought metal items, and will pay full price for excellent craftsmanship, and even embellishments.

The Morkan of the hills are merely there to be thrown in with the Giants who inhabit the lands also. They spend their days logging the great evergreens that grow in the southern expanses of Morkum. This helps the gradual creep of the state itself, also. It is here and near here, also, that the herders of the lands make their living. Morkan keep many stock of Woolly Mammoths, great tusked fur-covered elephants, some trained as terrible siege-breakers in times of war, but mostly used for a livestock method of feeding. Again, the creep of cold and desire for more space forces these herders southward, slowly but surely.

Military:
Morkans have several strange practices in war. They tend to favor metaline claws, doubly-rending their opponents with both their natural weapons, and the icy steel. Beyond that, the weapon of choice is an extraordinarily large hammer. They wear thick, heavy armor—some full suits have been measured up to 500 pounds, barely noticing the weight, but not minding or immune to the restrictions to movement otherwise. Some elite Morkan ride woolly mammoths to battle—though the beasts are rarely used in skirmishes, instead reserved for times of full-out war. Morkans enjoy the prospect of war, an exciting mental and physical test of their lands, it is often that they enlist the help of the Ice Giants who inhabit their territory. Accompanied by their Aurora mages—specialists in ice, light, and wind—they form a reckonable force.

Morkan have an incredible disdain for using flight in battle. Any unit gliding over a battle, or riding upon a winged beast is referred to with the Morkan word for ‘Harpy’. Morkan armies take great precautions against falling to an ariel assault: For example, the second control any Aurora mage learns is how to create a strong and quick downdraft; a simple but effective magic, forcing airborne units to the ground. Most Urskans—and all elite—who go to battle carry barbed nets, as big as they are, used to hurtle at the creatures. The giants they employ are also equipped with a few more dangerous tricks. What few siege weapons they have are also capable of having ammunition specifically designed to ruin a foe dependant on flight.

Morkan prefer to battle at night, their vision is not nearly as impaired as men, and they may also rely on their other senses, and battling their foes with as many advantages as they can arrange.. They also prefer to fight in a cold environment. Morkan choose their battles. An unavoidable fight is not to be run from, but invading armies certainly have been drawn out and into the icy reaches of The Morsum, supply lines dwindling and the cold, deadfalls, and cleverly arranged icy dangers taking it’s own casualties before the Morkan swept in to finish them. Invasion, however, is another matter. Morkan are never above diplomacy –before- hostilities have occurred. The people, however, are sometimes quick to anger, when an unwarranted attack, or casualty is evident.

The Morkan navy is a simple matter. It’s not big in numbers, and it’s not terribly complicated. Boats made of wood are reserved for whaling, trading, and scouting. Morkan ‘battleships’ are carved from glaciers themselves: Morkan ride (military) inhabited, magically treated icebergs upon the open seas. The icebergs are directed by the ranking onboard Aurora mage who is in no way the only one present. Sails, also, maid of whale-leather are build into masts erected on the iceberg, aiding the direction of such things. Most of these ships, or Icoplor, are reserved for times of war. Sometimes Drifting in the Northen Sea, sometimes locked in ice where they can undergo some form of ‘natural’ repair, it’s often hard to tell one from another. One anomaly does exist: A great dreadnaught of an Icolpor, Helkemanus Urskan, carved from the blackest ice is girth of a sizable settlement. The Iceberg, having many masts, many sails, and controlled by the cooperative efforts of more than one Urskan. “The Fist of the Ice Bear.â€
Last edited by Masterharper on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

frigidmagi wrote:Are we keeping the Rockie and Applican mountain ranges?
Appalachian.

APPALACHIAN.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Note to self: Dont feed the bears
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc