"I've known you too long to date you" - WTF?

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Faqa
Acolyte

Post by Faqa »

Had Guy #1 asked me out - and I do know that he wanted to date me, because he was disappointed when he found out I was going out with #2 - I might well have given him a similar excuse to what your lady friend gave you: something along the lines of "I don't want to damage our friendship," which would really be bullshit. But when Guy #2 wanted to date me, I had no reservations whatsoever.
Ladies - assuming Guy #1 is harmless, not violent and all.... just tell him NO. Please. It's better for all concerned in the long run. You get your point across, the guy gets a kick in the pants to improve. And there's no messy misconceptions to clear up.
Taim appeared as close to a smile as Rand had ever seen him.
"Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon", he said softly. "Or you will be knelt"
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

There's nothing wrong with the 'let's just be friends' line, if both parties actually mean it.
Faqa
Acolyte

Post by Faqa »

There's nothing wrong with the 'let's just be friends' line, if both parties actually mean it.
Sure, but with outright saying "I'm not attracted to you". No excuses, outright saying you are simply NOT INTERESTED in things going further than a friendship.
Taim appeared as close to a smile as Rand had ever seen him.
"Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon", he said softly. "Or you will be knelt"
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Well to be fair on the girls, how often do guys, after getting the 'let's be friends' line, have the presence of mind to say "Wait, you don't find me attracted? At all? So we're clear?"

Few, I'd wager. So like I said, there's nothing wrong with a girl saying "Let's be friends" if she actually means it. Often times though it doesn't work because it's the guy who can't accept it, and still holds out hope for the day when she'll come around. I've had direct experience in this, both with myself and my feelings and observing two of my school friends do the same over a period of years. It finally ended with the girl finally getting sick and tired of him doing random things that showed he was still interested in her (by this time she was going out with one of our mutual friends), which actually had evolved into a passive aggressive sulking resentment towards her.
zac naloen
Apprentice

Post by zac naloen »

Heh, this friend reminds me of something my girlfriends sister says about my social group back home.

Aparrently we're all inbred, because we never really date outside of our social circle and most of the guys and girls have had something go on at some point in the time we've known each other.

Clearly the "We've been friends for too long" line isn't that big of a deal for us...
Member of the Unremarkables
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Try and keep the necromancy down.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
Bratty
Disciple

Post by Bratty »

Try and keep the necromancy down.
There's always room for necromancy and jello.
"She believed in nothing; only her skepticism kept her from being an atheist."

~Jean Paul Sartre, philosopher
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Hey Bratty! Long time no see! What's been shakin'?