Anybody up for an FSTGOD?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

AHEM.... The Nithgaard are the People. The Kingdom is Æthelmearc...

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Oh man Tev doesn't even have mercy when naming her FSTGOD kingdoms...
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Point of Order: You know CT not only is it fucking ridiculious to send an envoy to a nation half a continent and an ocean away, it's even damn sillier to have nothing to say when they asked why you came. And there is no damn way in hell you could have made it before anyone else, especially those of us who actually share the Inner Ocean with him. Next time try thinking this stuff through. I know you can, I've seen you when you think.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Magi, how has every single other diplomacy thread gone? In the form of a diplomatic conference. There are a great number of things which could contribute to early arrival. Poor weather, as he stated, which a mage traveling light and by foot/utility travel spells probably doenst need to concern himself with. Timing has always been fungible in STGODs and this one is no different.

Hell, if he was supposed to get ambassadors that day, it means the meetind day was planned in advance, which means the carrier pigeons who sent the invitation (or the spells, whatever) would have been sent earlier, or travel time would have been alloted in advance. If Cindarella is the farthest away from the ball, she can still be the first to arrive if she leaves early.

As for the trade route, take a look at the economic section of my OOB, do you see anything there which has historically been transported over long distances from China? See any paralogues? If I pull out the free sample of silk, it is like having sex without the economic foreplay.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

Concerning my OOB:
First, thanks go to frigidmagi for pointing out that mistake, it has been fixed.
Second, I have expanded the magic system and military descriptions.
Third, I have added some pictures. :smile:

Mods (and anyone else), if anything is made less clear or too rediculous or it just doesn't look right I'd like to know before someone tries to eat my poor little nation for breakfast and my troops' abilities become important :grin:
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, I'll be gone for most of the day tomorrow. I'm leaving early to go to the state marching band finals. See you guys tomorrow night.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Ok. I am going to have to say this? What the hell makes you think those roads are good and or safe? Or that there is even a road which leads from your nation all the way to his? There has been no Roman Empire to build said roads, nor has there been a giant Chinese Empire. Hell, much of the area between you two has not had a civilization living in it for probably some hundred years, and nothing big enough to build a single long road that stretches across the entire fucking continent. There's a reason I didn't send diplomats to Stofsk's nation, there's not gonna just magically be a port and road for me to use that's not riddled with bandits and is made of dirt with more potholes than a teenager.

Next of course there is the issue of how damn LONG travel time is going to be for a caravan to reach a destination. It's simply not economically viable to be openning land routes that long at this time. Maybe after the two of you spend a few seasons making a servicable road and clearing out a majority of the bandits you'll find along the way (of which there will be a lot) this will be economically possible.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

LadyTevar wrote:

*looks at the crazy AE thing.*

Not anymore. :razz:
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Charon wrote:Ok. I am going to have to say this? What the hell makes you think those roads are good and or safe? Or that there is even a road which leads from your nation all the way to his? There has been no Roman Empire to build said roads, nor has there been a giant Chinese Empire. Hell, much of the area between you two has not had a civilization living in it for probably some hundred years, and nothing big enough to build a single long road that stretches across the entire fucking continent. There's a reason I didn't send diplomats to Stofsk's nation, there's not gonna just magically be a port and road for me to use that's not riddled with bandits and is made of dirt with more potholes than a teenager.

Next of course there is the issue of how damn LONG travel time is going to be for a caravan to reach a destination. It's simply not economically viable to be openning land routes that long at this time. Maybe after the two of you spend a few seasons making a servicable road and clearing out a majority of the bandits you'll find along the way (of which there will be a lot) this will be economically possible.
Ah, ok, I figured the world was probably a bit more developed. More FR style where there are a few good long roads that connect different parts of the world.

Of course, there probably are connecting roads between mine and stofsks power, his and magis etc would that be safe to assume? Because if that is the case, things become more workable.

You dont have to have a single long road, but there are still interconnections between nearby nations that can basically be strung together.

To be perfectly honest, if we dont have a system of roads already in place, playing is going to be very difficult. The first few dozens of pages will be spent clearing brush and killing bandits before we can even start playing economics, politics, and war.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

post edited in light of lack of primary road
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:Ah, ok, I figured the world was probably a bit more developed. More FR style where there are a few good long roads that connect different parts of the world.

Of course, there probably are connecting roads between mine and stofsks power, his and magis etc would that be safe to assume? Because if that is the case, things become more workable.

You dont have to have a single long road, but there are still interconnections between nearby nations that can basically be strung together.

To be perfectly honest, if we dont have a system of roads already in place, playing is going to be very difficult. The first few dozens of pages will be spent clearing brush and killing bandits before we can even start playing economics, politics, and war.
There are plenty of roads. But none of them are gonna be stretching even a tenth of the length you were suggesting, nor are they likely to be in as good of condition as you had suggested. This continent is the size of America, even nowadays finding a single good road that reaches from Canada to the Yucatan is fucking impossible. And we have the benefit of having extremely more technologically advanced nations that are right next to each other. There's a lot of relatively open space with nothing more than the occasional trading town here.

Furthest good roads you're gonna get are reaching to the Jagged Halls, then from there down to the (likely NPC unless Village gets his ass in here), even then not all of this is gonna be good road, trees collapse on it, rainstorms wash portions out, giant hoola monsters have big fancy parties, it's still gonna be a bit of a mess. Then once you get past the light blue nation, the roads get even worse as all you've got are a few city-states that, as they are right on the coast, have more important matters to attend to than to look after a road.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

alrighty, which means establishing a trade route is going to be lots and lots of fun
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:alrighty, which means establishing a trade route is going to be lots and lots of fun
But if you can keep that route running, that's going to no doubt be very useful in the long run. And not just for trade.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Charon wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:

*looks at the crazy AE thing.*

Not anymore. :razz:
Alt + 146 = Æ (called the "aesch")
Or, if you're unable to manage that: Aethelmearc.

Be happy I didn't do it like it's SUPPOSED to be spelled: Æthelmærc.
Last edited by LadyTevar on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lia
Acolyte

Post by Lia »

I do hope I wrote appropriately. Emmisarries sent out to three nations, only one was allowed to arrive. If I did anything amiss, let me know.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

You didn't need to put it in three seperate posts. If you had it all in one post and split up into three sections that would have been a lot less cluttered.

Tev, I fixed it. Should the map need an additional edit then I'll get around to putting it up.
Last edited by Charon on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Harper. I clearly stated that the spitting on the ground and such was before they landed. Unless your great bear can hear and see and hear that far, then ok.
Thirdfain
Apprentice

Post by Thirdfain »

Charon wrote:
There are plenty of roads. But none of them are gonna be stretching even a tenth of the length you were suggesting, nor are they likely to be in as good of condition as you had suggested. This continent is the size of America, even nowadays finding a single good road that reaches from Canada to the Yucatan is fucking impossible.
False, one can travel by highway from Anchorage all the way to Panama. You'd be able to go all the way to Terra del Fuego in the south of Patagonia, but there's a 100-mile stretch of jungle south of Panama which they haven't built a highway through for ecological reasons.

However, for this setting, your point is very well made.
"Winter is Coming"
Masterharper
Apprentice

Post by Masterharper »

Charon wrote:Harper. I clearly stated that the spitting on the ground and such was before they landed. Unless your great bear can hear and see and hear that far, then ok.
My bad! She really can't, I just misread it, Just ignore that bit!
The Silence and I
Disciple

Cynical Cat, it occured to me you may have been waiting for me to respond, so I have now. :oops:

Also, because I have waay to much free time, I decided to draw a Skarklagger: Wee!
Lia
Acolyte

Post by Lia »

Shiiny lizard dude. ^^

I have an old sketch of a female Gar somewhere... the males and herms have different leaf structures, and the Seedless have more bark-like skin, but this is as much idea as you're getting about what the 7 ft tall plant people look like.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/607 ... n%3Ascraps

This one was a specific character I played once, thus the name. And a rather hurried sketch, thus the mess. The blooms on the larger figure only happen when the being is of age to mate. The winglets are leaves.
The Silence and I
Disciple

Nifty. :cool: I've often thought having photosynthesis would completely rock.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but No One's sent out envoys to the Nithgaard yet?

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Diplomats that I've sent that have not yet been recieved. To Tevar, Nitram, and Ra.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

I am waiting on responses from several individuals.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky