Thoughts on the Horus Heresy series (Spoilers ya)

SF: Not to be confused with SyFy....
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#1 Thoughts on the Horus Heresy series (Spoilers ya)

Post by Josh »

Obviously the big big surprise thus far has been the stringently secularised society. While we knew the Emperor wasn't keen on this whole godhood thing as espoused by the Word Bearers, the fervency with which all 'supernatural' aspects were denied was a revelation. The fact that the average space marine had no concept of warp critters and the potential that they could wield tangible influence in the regular universe was rather jarring. The question that arises is as to what the Emperor's reasoning behind suppressing this information was, and who was in the know. Obviously the primarchs were clued in. The astropaths would be, given that they're psykers and all. Do we have any notion of non-astropath psykers being employed by the Imperium at large in this era? The Navigator houses would also be in on the cover-up, of course.

As for the reasoning, a truly secularised society would serve the dual function of starving direct support off from warp entities, as well as making it easier for Imperial agents to track down cult activity.

Moving along, one has to tip the hat to Lorgar and Erebus for setting the whole chain in motion. Erebus is easily the most pivotal figure of the Heresy.

So... thoughts? Inanities?
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Well having read all three books I really enjoyed them all. The first war between the Marines at the end of book 3 was definatly perhaps the best battle of the trilogy.

However, I was slightly disappointed at where it ended. Yes, I know, we all know what happens and how it happens and all, it's common knowledge of 40k. However, I thought that the novelization of it was deserved. Especially if we could get Abnet to do it.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Josh

Post by Josh »

There's a fourth book coming out covering the flight of the Eisenstein.

In fact, it's named 'Flight of the Eisenstein', which I'd forgotten until I looked it up on Amazon.

Long-ass URL dressed.
Last edited by Josh on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I was dissapointed in the books, in part because I have very high standards about the quality of the writing appropriate to the series and it wasn't reached. The secularism was cool and a nice shift, but they were too damn ignorant about the warp (saying nasty creatures live in the warp isn't incompatable with secularism).

While Erebus was wonderfully nasty, Horus was too much of a gullible fool during his conversion. The duel where he got wounded sucked (even a champion of chaos should be meat paste against Horus). The wanky megarachnids were cheesy.

On the other hand the battle and betrayal in the last part of the third book were both awesome and stiring. And the World Eaters were dead on.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Well base my opinion on the fact that I don't have the full Black Library like some of our members...

I've read the Eisenhorn series, the Ravenor series, Inquisitor Wars, Last Chancers, several of the omnibuses of short stories and some of the Tanith series. But I know there's a buttload that I'm missing and that I'm not as well versed as some of our people.

But I liked them at any rate. I enjoyed the story and I'm glad to hear that there's a fourth book to finish it up right. I found the ending of the third disappointing if they ended the series with it.

But yes, I reiterate my love of the brother marines killing each other on Istivan. Best battles of the series hands down. And I thought there would have been more on the Night Haunter's guys. They didn't really make an appearance, just a minor notation it seemed.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Read Lord of the Night sometime. One of the best out of the BL, in my opinion, and it goes into a lot of detail on the old Haunter.

I agree, the Marine vs. Marine battle was the absolute best. Favorite scene? Easily the initial landings, when Angron comes barging out and the loyalist World Eater captain is all like 'This is our thing, git.' and goes bouncing off to swing his chainaxe at the boss. Pure awesome.

They also did an excellent job of making both Loken and Torgaddon very likable, which made their deaths truly tragic. Also, Abaddon was eminently dislikable from the beginning, which was cool.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Petrosjko wrote:Read Lord of the Night sometime. One of the best out of the BL, in my opinion, and it goes into a lot of detail on the old Haunter.
Wasn't that one the one about the 10,000 year old marine who starts a cult on a hiveworld? If so I did read that one and really enjoyed it.
Josh

Post by Josh »

B4UTRUST wrote:
Petrosjko wrote:Read Lord of the Night sometime. One of the best out of the BL, in my opinion, and it goes into a lot of detail on the old Haunter.
Wasn't that one the one about the 10,000 year old marine who starts a cult on a hiveworld? If so I did read that one and really enjoyed it.
Well, not entirely that he started a cult, but yeah, that's the one. Also pretty cool for depicting the Eldar as the ruthless bastards they are, not the 'The Imperium should team up with them against chaos!' nice space elves some wankers make them out to be.
Elheru Aran
Initiate

Post by Elheru Aran »

So far I've enjoyed the novels. But sadly, they lack the perspective from those on the Emperor's side, apart from the Crusade. I definitely wouldn't mind hearing a few musings from Eldrad upon what's going on elsewhere, and given that a *lot* about the Heresy isn't stated in the novels-- it's in the art books-- I'd like them to be a little more comprehensive, I suppose.

That, and I'm cheap, I'm not going to shell out for those art books anytime soon... :P
Graey
Acolyte

Post by Graey »

Elheru Aran wrote:So far I've enjoyed the novels. But sadly, they lack the perspective from those on the Emperor's side, apart from the Crusade. I definitely wouldn't mind hearing a few musings from Eldrad upon what's going on elsewhere, and given that a *lot* about the Heresy isn't stated in the novels-- it's in the art books-- I'd like them to be a little more comprehensive, I suppose.

That, and I'm cheap, I'm not going to shell out for those art books anytime soon... :P
That's what I missed most. Missing information. Well, not so much missing as not present. Nothing of the Emporer's side of things, nothing of the other primarchs and legions thoughts, as well as the xenos prespective on it all. I realise that all of that would make for an akward novel, but it intrigues me no less.