Health Canada Warning: Sleep Aid Sold In BC May Be Addictive

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

Cpl Kendall
Disciple

#1 Health Canada Warning: Sleep Aid Sold In BC May Be Addictive

Post by Cpl Kendall »

CBC.CA
Undeclared drug in sleep aid may be habit forming: Health Canada
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 | 12:13 PM ET
CBC News

Health Canada on Wednesday warned consumers not to use the sleep supplement Optimum Health Care Sleep Easy because it may be addictive after being taken for as little as a few months.

The product contains the drug clonazepam. It is not listed on the label and should only be taken under the supervision of a health-care professional.

"Consumers who may still have this product in their homes are advised to consult with a health-care professional before they stop taking the pills, because of the risk of serious withdrawal symptoms," Health Canada said in its advisory.

The sleep aid has not been authorized for sale in Canada but was sold at Vancouver's Optimum Health Care.

People with the neuromuscular disorder myasthenia gravis, sleep apnea, or allergies to drugs known as benzodiazepines such as Valium should not use sleep aids containing clonazepam. Pregnant women should not rely on sleep aids containing clonazepam unless absolutely necessary while the elderly and those with a history of substance abuse should use them with caution.

Side effects linked to products containing clonazepam include dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, depression, memory loss and hallucinations. No associated adverse reactions have been reported in Canada.

Consumers should return the product to the retailer. For more information, consumers can call Health Canada at 1-866-225-0709.
Put this here because I beleive we have a member living in British Columbia in the Vancouver area. Not sure if this is the right spot for it though.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Indeed I do. I also don't take sleep aids, despite not falling asleep easily.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Well even if you don't, I thought it better to post and be safe. Besides you can always pass it on.
Mrs Kendall
Apprentice

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I used to take clonazepam every night for like a year as a muscle relaxant so I could sleep through my pain, it does nothing bad for me and I'm not addicted. I've proved that to myself when I stopped taking it religiously about a month ago. BUT that doesn't mean everybody is safe using the drug. Just pointing out that it's not gonna affect everyone in a negative way either.