'War Czar' open to consider Draft.

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

Knife
Apprentice

Post by Knife »

First off....Booo

Second off...where the hell is Josh

Third off.....forget the major change/build up of infrastructures and just basic foodstuffs and equipment you'd have to have just to accomadate a draft, you'd need a major change in American culture to not reject this out of hand.

For the better part of a decade, threats of the draft have been nothing more than fearmongering bought about be the damn Dems in the House and it never went anywhere because it would be political suicide.

Second of all, there is no mission available for a US military that large even if Jr wanted to splurge in a new surge. In a population of 300 million, all those of what age? 18-20 in the military? you're looking at what? 10%. A US military of 30 million? Jeeze

Edit: checking https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... e....there seems to be 120-130 million men and women available for military serverice between the ages of 18-49.

Hell, estimated amount of men AND women reaching military age each year (age 18) combined is over four million. Just off of that stat alone you're looking at eight million troops every two year cycle.
Last edited by Knife on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stuart Mill
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

B4UTRUST wrote:Actually, Comrade, I'm a 4th gen brat. All of them enlisted, no officers. I'm the fucking Lt. Dan of real life, except that my family hasn't died yet... Yes, I have had some family member in every single war in the last century or so.

Yes, I knew what I was getting into. Yes, I knew what this would mean. More importantly, I knew the amount of shit and crap and stupidity that I would have to deal with. I knew the utter hell that my life would become. I had no expectations of a better life because of it. I used the military to get myself out of a hellhole town that I had no other way out of. So I didn't exactly join for mom and apple pie. But in the end it did help me. So *shrugs*
Whether you joined for mom and apple pie or not is not relevant. You knew the hell you were getting into, weighed it against the consequences, and chose the shit. You willingly accepted the re-education regime, and you went in with the expectation that in some way, your life would be improved. The fact that it gave you skills and a sense of purpose are the effects of the re-education that would not have worked if you were forced into the military and resisted it.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Knife wrote:First off....Booo

Second off...where the hell is Josh

Third off.....forget the major change/build up of infrastructures and just basic foodstuffs and equipment you'd have to have just to accomadate a draft, you'd need a major change in American culture to not reject this out of hand.

For the better part of a decade, threats of the draft have been nothing more than fearmongering bought about be the damn Dems in the House and it never went anywhere because it would be political suicide.

Second of all, there is no mission available for a US military that large even if Jr wanted to splurge in a new surge. In a population of 300 million, all those of what age? 18-20 in the military? you're looking at what? 10%. A US military of 30 million? Jeeze

Edit: checking https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... e....there seems to be 120-130 million men and women available for military serverice between the ages of 18-49.

Hell, estimated amount of men AND women reaching military age each year (age 18) combined is over four million. Just off of that stat alone you're looking at eight million troops every two year cycle.
So... the only thing we could possibly do with that many green troops is a WW2 style meat grinder?
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

I'm kinda repeating what Knife said, but someone mentions the d-word every year and it all comes to nothing. Half the time it's naught but a publicity stunt and very, very rarely is it ever seriously considered. I never really sleep easy but this won't be making mine any worse.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

So... the only thing we could possibly do with that many green troops is a WW2 style meat grinder?
Didn't I say that on page 1 already?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

frigidmagi wrote:
Didn't I say that on page 1 already?
Yes. Just reiterating the point
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

frigidmagi wrote:B4 you've been sucking up to many officer fumes. A draft is a horrible idea, especially a 2 year one.
So you're against a two year draft?

You know if you're really lucky they could make special drafts to get extra many students just out of college. Think of it they're intelligent, unmotivated, and they've just been half-way brain washed into thinking you're the devil.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Norseman wrote:
frigidmagi wrote:B4 you've been sucking up to many officer fumes. A draft is a horrible idea, especially a 2 year one.
So you're against a two year draft?

You know if you're really lucky they could make special drafts to get extra many students just out of college. Think of it they're intelligent, unmotivated, and they've just been half-way brain washed into thinking you're the devil.
Unmotivated my ass.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

He means unmotivated to be solders or marines. Besides he wasn't talking about you and you know it.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken