His Majesty's Dragons

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

IRWriter86: I promise not to have Kunja tie up Aequitas in steel cables and then paint him pink during the night while he sleeps.
IRWriter86: :-D
GenHavoc: ....
IRWriter86: :-D
GenHavoc: I don't know what he would do to you....
GenHavoc: .... but I KNOW that Rankin would die
GenHavoc: He would fall over and laugh himself to death
IRWriter86: "Why did you paint Aequitas pink Kunja?" "Distract the enemy sir. We put a nice pretty bow on Aequitas' head they may just think he's a girl dragon and while they're busy mounting him we can take our shots."
Last edited by Charon on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

FYI Charon: From what I've seen 'love' or 'lovey' is a general term that the English use, much like Southern ladies use 'hon' or 'dearie'.

So Jake doesn't have to worry about Johnny-boy making claims just yet. He'd call any woman 'love'.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Wait a fucking minute, how in hell does your boy in the middle of North America have any damn idea how German food taste?

Also has the CO taken my orders yet? If he has I've missed it.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:Wait a fucking minute, how in hell does your boy in the middle of North America have any damn idea how German food taste?

Also has the CO taken my orders yet? If he has I've missed it.
He's from an immigrant family.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

He was born in the US.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:He was born in the US.
And? Hell, on my mom's side, the german part left Germany in the early 1800's and my mom was part of the first generation to not speak German in the house. And that's a hell of a lot more extreme than simply keeping the traditional foods for a generation or two. He wasn't saying that he's been to Germany, he's saying that his mom cooks traditionally German food and sucks at it.
Last edited by Charon on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

And if he has no other way of tasting German food (by the way in that region of the US? His nearest neighbor is gonna be a mile or two away) how the fuck does he know that it's badly done?
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

frigidmagi wrote:And if he has no other way of tasting German food (by the way in that region of the US? His nearest neighbor is gonna be a mile or two away) how the fuck does he know that it's badly done?
Geeeeeee.. maybe it didn't taste like Grandmother made? Or his own father teased his mother about how bad her food was? (ie: the 'cannonball biscuits' comment from my dad to my mom) Maybe it was his aunt who made it better?

:roll: Use some damn common sense there!

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

LadyTevar wrote:
frigidmagi wrote:And if he has no other way of tasting German food (by the way in that region of the US? His nearest neighbor is gonna be a mile or two away) how the fuck does he know that it's badly done?
Geeeeeee.. maybe it didn't taste like Grandmother made? Or his own father teased his mother about how bad her food was? (ie: the 'cannonball biscuits' comment from my dad to my mom) Maybe it was his aunt who made it better?

:roll: Use some damn common sense there!
Maybe it just tasted bad.

If I have never had meatloaf, and someone brought out meatloaf at a dinner table, and it was screwed up, often times, one can tell. IE. It is burned, or there is some spice there that just seems wrong.

Think of how many ways someone could screw up blood wurst. Just think of the name
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

http://www.temeraire.org/wiki/Main_Page

There's a wiki! There's a wiki!
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

1. "Dakota" (Name of Dragon) (Possibly Thunderchild?)
2. Greyling
3. Grey Widowmaker
4. Winchester
5. Ironwing
6. Sharpspitter
7. Longwing
8. Honneur-d'Or
9. Xenica
10. Petit Chevalier
11. Pecheur-Raye
12. Pecheur-Couronne
13. Pascal's Blue
14. Chequered Nettle
15. Chanson-de-Guerre
16. Parnassian
17. Akhal-Teke
18. Scarlet Flower
19. Copacati
20. Mauerfuchs
21. Berghexe
22. Grand Chevalier
23. Flamme-de-Gloire
24. Papillon Noirs
25. Chasseur-Vocifere
26. Poux-de-Ciel
27. Kazilik
28. Flecha-del-Fuego
29. Lindorm
30. Shen-Lung
31. Alaman
32. Celestial
33. Jade
34. Siu Riu
35. Regal Copper
36. Cauchador Real
37. Fleur-de-Nuit
38. Emerald Glass
39. Anglewing
40. Imperial
41. Ka-Riu
42. Bright Copper
43. Malachite Reaper (Accidently Color-switched)
44. Yellow Reaper
Last edited by LadyTevar on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

It should be mentioned that I've HAD Bloodwurst, exactly once, and knew that it was terrible. Obviously I couldn't tell if that was because it was made improperly or because the recipe itself was disgusting, but I could tell it was VERY VERY bad. I see nothing wrong with his claim.

Thank you for finding the wiki and the diagrams. I had no idea for example, that the Kazilik was so large...

Be advised though, that I'm claiming full GMic authority to ignore or selectively ignore what's found on that wiki for whatever purposes suit me...
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Havoc, you need to salute back and take my orders. With your post Rankin is pretty much ignoring Paul standing there waiting on him.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

frigidmagi wrote:Havoc, you need to salute back and take my orders. With your post Rankin is pretty much ignoring Paul standing there waiting on him.
He probably didn't see it, hon. :sad:

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

This is the second time I've mentioned it on this thread.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

After reading "His Majesty's Dragons" (and having earlier today purchased "Throne of Jade", "Black Powder War" and the newest one "Empire of Ivory" [yes Frigid, you may become jealous now.. =p ] ) I can say for some reason I figured the twist out concerning Temeraire during the big battle.

That said...I am not thuroughly hooked...Novik has a nice way with the written word, she paints a very believable world in her story (the first one at least) and I look forward to the other two......
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Actually I got ahold of Empire of Ivory today DS and I am half way through it. Sooo... :razz: Nyah nyah!
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Throne of Jade is literally the Slow Boat to China. I mean it, the pace draaaaaaaaaaaags

However, you learn a Great Many Things in this book, about Africa, about China, and about Politics of the early 1800s.

Black Powder War has much adventure and swashbuckling.

Empire of Ivory is once again rich and wonderous, but a little slow to start. However, the fuckin' thing ends on a CLIFFHANGER, and the next book isn't out until July 2008. :evil:

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Ok....so I've finally worked up my dragon and his Captain....

First off...It still has to pass Havoc's final approval..but I figured I'd present it to the rest of you for suggestions/going over.
Jane's Fighting Dragons of the World c.1952 edition wrote: Longhorn Reaper:

Weight - 14 - 16 Tons (15 tons being average)
Length - 55' - 65 ' (58' - 62' being average)
Coloration - muddy brown scales with black and grey whorls on the wings, red and gold stripes along their spines.

Weaknesses - the begining progeny of the breed have a seem of cold-bloodedness to them, having been bred and raised in the heat and humidity of South Louisiana, cold weather (anything 45°F and below) tends to cut their effectiveness more so than any other dragonbreed in the Northern Hemisphere.

Additionally, the Longhorn Reaper has a inflated sense of self, in a fight they will, unless driven by their handler, take on more than they can possibly handle, not unlike their Texas Longhorn cousins

.:General:.
Born of a specialized breeding program to make the most out of the "American Reaper" strain and breed a set of middleweights with various abilities, the Longhorn Reaper is one of the very few successes. Taking much after the American Reaper in configuration and coloration, and having the Texas Longhorn's gregarious mannerisms, and massive gouring horns, the Longhorn Reaper is a middleweight of the largest variety - bordering just on the edge of the weight classes.

On average the Longhorn Reaper measures at 55' - 65'snout to tail tip, with a wingspan of some 110'. Their feet have four claws each, and end in wickedly tapered talons measuring some eighteen inches in length. The average weight for a Longhorn Reaper male is fifteen(15) tons, with the females getting as big as sixteen(16) tons, all without losing much in the way of speed over their middleweight for bearers. Overall, the females of the subspecies tend to be larger than their male counterparts. In the air they are more graceful than their heavyweight cousins, despite the larger mass of their forms, very nearly becoming as graceful as their American Reaper cousins.

While generally rather even tempered (a result of the breeding program at the Thibodaux Enclave where the sub-species originates), they possess not a few of the Texas Longhorn's personality traits, extreme senses of courage, honor and bravery - which if not handled by a proper Captain, can get them into trouble during a fight. The Longhorn Reaper has a tendency to "bite off more than it can chew" in regards to battling opponents - thinking itself more than capable of battling a twenty-five(25) or more ton dragon on a even scale. They tend to be especially thoughtful and affectionate of their handlers, crews, and dragon comrades - even bordering on protective of those they view as "theirs". As the breed is still to new to have a set pool of breeders, it is difficult for the Longhorn Reaper to breed true - very often the young will be born with more American Reaper characteristics than Longhorn. The Thibodaux Enclave hopes within the next few generations, the Longhorn Reaper will be able to become it's own breed.

--------------------

Captain's Name: Thomas Thibodeaux
Captain's Age: 29
Captain's Description:
6'3", 225 lbs, brown eyes, close trimmed black hair, african-american. Intelligent, friendly, quick-witted and very caring towards his dragon. Thomas is the third son of a family of Dragon Breeders from deep in the Louisiana swamps. They are, in fact, one of Louisiana's best known family - their dragons always being bred for intelligence and even temperments. Unlike most dragon breeders, The Thibodaux Enclave (as the farm is called) specializes in the American Reaper breed, as well as Louisiana's only native breed the Marais-Pecheur, the transplanted Fleur-de-Nuit, and the Mississippi Brownwater. After World War I, the Enclave has been approached by the U.S. Airforce to take part in a specialized breeding program to develop a new sub-breed of the American Reaper which would help expand the Air Forces ranks. Thus, the Enclave began breeding programs with a few Texas Longhorn's they were able to acquire from a friendly breeding family in Texas, and their own native Marais-Pecheurs. The result of this is the Longhorn Reaper.

Dragon's Name: Hermeticus
Dragon's Age: 6 years
Dragon's Breed: American Reaper (sub-species "Longhorn Reaper")
Dragon's Description: Being the product of over twenty years of breeding the crossbreeding of the American Reaper and the Texas Longhorn, as well as the "true breeding" of the various descendants of the original pairs, Hermeticus is the third generation of dragons under the breeding program. He measures 63' tail tip to snout, his scales a deep muddy brown color with large spots of yellow and red over the wings and back, and two large horns situated on his head - while not as strong as a Texas Longhorn's, more than capable of goring an opponent in a fight. The dragon weights in at a hefty 15 tons, making him just borderline for a middleweight dragon - and able to take on some of the smaller Heavyweight breeds on his own - a fact he takes in high esteem and likes to brag about on occasion. Hermeticus is quick witted, even tempered, and intelligent, even for one of the breeds of the Thibodaux Enclave. While a born fighter, he holds the ideal of duty above all else, and thuroghly enjoys his "liberty", curling up in warmth, being read to by his Captain, or even talking and joking with other dragons.

Background:
Thomas was born and raised around dragons, his family having inherited the Thibodaux Enclave from the original owning family when the last son died with no heirs. Thomas' family had worked the Enclave for generations, even before the Civil War - originally being owned by the breeder family - but given a good deal more liberty as the Thibodauxs never considered themselves slave owners, merely giving those who were "purchased" a chance at a good life and vocation - a family they could trust with their prized beasts as much as they. When the last of the last son of the fourth Generation owner of the enclave died without a heir, he gifted the Enclave to his most trusted worker, a man he considered a close friend, Thomas' great great grandfather - who out of respect, changed the clan name to Thibodeaux in his friends honor. Since he was able to walk and talk, Laurence helped with the chores around the Enclave, meeting with the breeding dragons - nearly all who looked as protectively over the family as the family did them. Thomas was especially drawn to the "special pens", where the family was breeding the heavy combat-middleweights. Thomas looked with awe, and as he grew older, spent more and more of his time with his father, learning about dragon breeding and spending his time with the Longhorns that where already born and growing.

Thomas was the first to find Hermeticus' egg after the mother dragon - a "true breed" Longhorn, laid him - a muddy colored egg with black and grey whorls upon it. Thomas called his father over, and the egg was transported to the heating sheds, to be kept warm in a ideal environment until it was ready to hatch. It took nearly two years for the egg to finally harden, and during that time Thomas was checking on "his find" daily, spending time reading to the egg by lantern-light in the evenings, and noticed the hardening of the egg. Thomas begged his father to let him be there when the egg hatched, and even if the dragon wanted, to let him keep him. Thomas' father relented after a week of near constant begging by his young son - knowing that the generation was to low for the dragon to be of any true use to the Air Force and for the desired traits to have bred true to make it a superior specimen.

Thomas was there when Hermeticus hatched, and the little dragon bonded with the teenager who read to him near daily while he was in the shell. They two were very nearly inseparable, during the first week Hemerius slept in Thomas' bedroom, close by his new friend and master, and when the dragonet grew to large to stay in the house, was moved outside to a close by pen.

Hermeticus grew quickly that first year, and Thomas and he went flying regularly once chores where done. They became a proficient team, and Thomas for the first time in his life, thought about joining the U.S. Airforce. The decision was taken from him when a Air force General came to check on the progress of the heavy combat-middleweight program when he saw Thomas and Hermeticus flying - he all but demanded that the dragon be sent for training. Inseparable as the two had become, Thomas insisted if Hermeticus went, he would go to.

His father finally assented, and while it was hard for Thomas during his training - racism played a huge role in his daily life out in the great wide world - he managed to pass with flying colors. Unfortunately, despite his high marks during training, Thomas and Hermeticus were constantly passed up for choice assignments, usually being regulated to the backwaters.

When the Second Great War began, and Britain needed volunteers, Thomas requested to be allowed to go with his dragon. His commanding officers finally agreed to allow him to go, seeing as a way to get rid of a problem they didn't want, and he and Hermeticus were shipped off to England.
Last edited by Dark Silver on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

hey sorry I have not posted. Had a friend in town and was a bit distracted
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:hey sorry I have not posted. Had a friend in town and was a bit distracted
....... I so want to tease you about booty calls now.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Well seeing as there appear to be no objections from the peanut gallery, and as the changes I requested were made... DS, that character looks good. Feel free to show up mid-battle if you wish.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Browning Automatic Rifle, what the combat ready Marine of the season is carrying.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:Browning Automatic Rifle, what the combat ready Marine of the season is carrying.
Seems pretty good. I think I'd prefer something with the capability to hold a drum of ammo though. Seems like 20 rounds are gonna go really fast while not hitting much of anything the way we're gonna be bouncing around. But that's just me.