His Majesty's Dragons

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

We got bigger heavier guns for spraying with. A Captain should concentrate on flying his dragon and only take guaranteed shots
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:We got bigger heavier guns for spraying with. A Captain should concentrate on flying his dragon and only take guaranteed shots
I haven't read the books, but from what I understood from the preamble, guaranteed shots don't exist when you're flying dragonback unless you're literally on top of the person you're shooting at.

Either way, we ride different types of dragons, so while a Browning might work for you it certainly won't work for me. You have heavier guns for spraying that I don't, plus I imagine the ability to be accurate on a lightweight is about equal to driving down a dirt road, not to mention I'll likely be upside down or in a position where my dragon is perpendicular to the ground a good number of times. No way I at least could use a heavy limited bullet capacity gun like a browning.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Why do you think Judith took a Thompson Automatic? ;) Huge drum ammo, easily reloaded. The pump shotgun's for anyone trying to board.

And yes, Mama-Nathan, she's got a nice sharp huntin' knife.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Either way, we ride different types of dragons, so while a Browning might work for you it certainly won't work for me.
Sorry, I didn't mean to give the appearance of saying you should have a Browning. As for the dragon flying, Lydia is more likely to grapple an enemy heavyweight then you are. At that point, I can fire and hit something alot easier then someone trying to do fly bys on a light weight.

As for the reloading issue, my grandfather carried the weapon and found it easier to reload then drum mag tommies. Said the drums had a tendency to to stick in the day. Don't take that as gospel I can't confirm it one way or another. But the box mag isn't all that difficult to load in comparison. So frankly I doubt I'll have any problems, it would be interesting to attempt some kinda of belt feeding set up but I think that snarls and jams would be to damn fucking common on dragon back to make it worthwhile for a B.A.R.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

You're all free to take what you like up there, but don't assume that there's such a thing as a guaranteed shot on dragonback, especially during a grapple. Elementary common sense should dictate that a dragon grappling another dragon is not going to be remaining still. The BAR is certainly an improvement over a bolt action or semi-auto rifle for such things, but just as a matter of personal preference, I'd take a Thompson. The drums may get annoying to reload, but there's always stick-mags.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

General Havoc wrote:You're all free to take what you like up there, but don't assume that there's such a thing as a guaranteed shot on dragonback, especially during a grapple. Elementary common sense should dictate that a dragon grappling another dragon is not going to be remaining still. The BAR is certainly an improvement over a bolt action or semi-auto rifle for such things, but just as a matter of personal preference, I'd take a Thompson. The drums may get annoying to reload, but there's always stick-mags.
This is why Judith has a netbag of loaded drums, so she can remove the empty and slot the reload. The empties go in another netbag that she brings back to base and reloads after the battle. The pump shotgun has the full 7(?) shells inside, but since she's not expecting to use it unless she's boarded that should be plenty.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who tries to board Jebediah. Jeb can twist like a snake and dive like a falcon, and there's very few straps to hook onto.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I should mention at this point something about Radios. Most dragons, and certainly all middleweights-or-larger carry radios aboard powered by battery packs of some kind. The Captain, Radio operator, and Dragon, are all hooked into this radio, in the dragon's case by means of a specially-made dragon-sized headset and microphone combination. The mike is keyed by the dragon's foreclaw, and is heavily padded to ensure that the dragon's voice doesn't blow out the eardrums of the humans he is speaking to. Obviously, these headsets are often smashed to bits or otherwise destroyed in the heat of combat, but until then, they offer a better means of communicating than yelling.

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

LadyTevar wrote:
General Havoc wrote:You're all free to take what you like up there, but don't assume that there's such a thing as a guaranteed shot on dragonback, especially during a grapple. Elementary common sense should dictate that a dragon grappling another dragon is not going to be remaining still. The BAR is certainly an improvement over a bolt action or semi-auto rifle for such things, but just as a matter of personal preference, I'd take a Thompson. The drums may get annoying to reload, but there's always stick-mags.
This is why Judith has a netbag of loaded drums, so she can remove the empty and slot the reload. The empties go in another netbag that she brings back to base and reloads after the battle. The pump shotgun has the full 7(?) shells inside, but since she's not expecting to use it unless she's boarded that should be plenty.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who tries to board Jebediah. Jeb can twist like a snake and dive like a falcon, and there's very few straps to hook onto.
I imagine boarding a lightweight is hard anyway... Walwanderer is the size of a large horse... not much to board
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote: And yes, Mama-Nathan, she's got a nice sharp huntin' knife.
He would be very disappointed in you. The point isn't to carry a big pig sticker, but a small easy to reach and use blade when you get tangled up.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Cynical Cat wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: And yes, Mama-Nathan, she's got a nice sharp huntin' knife.
He would be very disappointed in you. The point isn't to carry a big pig sticker, but a small easy to reach and use blade when you get tangled up.
..... How big do you think a huntin' knife is??? :shock:

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

And before anyone says anything: Yes, you can catch an ejecting shell. I've done it. The guy who'd asked me "Uh.. is that really loaded?" seemed ready to piss his pants.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote: ..... How big do you think a huntin' knife is??? :shock:
Depends, but they usually aren't small fold out knives carried in an easy to reach vest or jacke pocket.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Cynical Cat wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: ..... How big do you think a huntin' knife is??? :shock:
Depends, but they usually aren't small fold out knives carried in an easy to reach vest or jacke pocket.
No.. but it's got a 4in blade that's kept in a easily-reached sheath.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:
I imagine boarding a lightweight is hard anyway... Walwanderer is the size of a large horse... not much to board
Boarding a lightweight can get tricky, but it's often made a lot easier if a larger dragons simply grabs and holds the lightweight in place. Lightweights that get captured are usually forced down in enemy territory from injuries sustained from taking a hit from a larger dragon, or many injuries from another lightweight.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Since the question came up:
GenHavoc: Yes, I think you will hit the Bavarian
GenHavoc: He's not expecting a crash dive like that, not from another lightweight
TeamhairTahal: I'll just post the hit, then... I'll leave you to post the damage.
Just so ya'll know it was approved

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

My 20mm shells appear to have vanished into thin air. Oh mighty General, could you clarrify their fate?
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I can as soon as I cease expelling the contents of my digestive tract in a violent manner every hour or so...

I'm going to find a way to blame you for this.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

My bullets still haven't been addressed. It's not like I'm asking for hits here (although they would be nice).

For no reason at all I'm going to mention that Deathstrike can hold down Hornet with one hand and have a paint gun in the other. :grin:
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Cynical Cat wrote:My bullets still haven't been addressed. It's not like I'm asking for hits here (although they would be nice).

For no reason at all I'm going to mention that Deathstrike can hold down Hornet with one hand and have a paint gun in the other. :grin:
Hey, Shellshock's already got a paint gun installed on his arm...

So long as he's really really careful...

And by paint you mean soot and burnt metal...
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Whose turn is it?

GM?

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

The GM's work is never done...

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

FYI: Nit and I will be out of town until Tomorrow afternoon. We have to transfer ownership and insurance on the Neon over, which means a trip to visit my Mommy.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

My GM's post will have to be postponed until tomorrow, when I will hopefully be able to open my eyes again. Ow.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

*cough* Where is everybody? I know it's not the GM's turn to post...
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Is it my turn? I'm admittably at a loss.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.