Totally random thoughts

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

The Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Nuclear Delivery System has never been used. This either makes it the most successful weapon design in human history or the least.

That is all.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

Children need to have more than one kind of gosh-awful scream. Little kids have one scream for everything from "help, I'm being murderalized!" to "Yaaaay! I'm having fun!" I come running whenever I hear some kid screaming, because I think something terrible must be happening, and nothing ever is. One of these days I'm just going to ignore a child's horrid screaming, and it'll turn out the kid actually was being killed, but since I can't tell that from a kid running around playing, I'll just let the kid die.

I think on this, and wonder how many other kids got eaten by hyenas or something because the other adults were thinking, "Oh the kids are just playing and not being killed, because they make that horrible scream for everything." But apparently there wasn't enough pressure to make kids have two different screams (or it didn't even come up). Evolution is really broken sometimes.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Kids who can't stay away from the Hyenas or have parents who don't pay attention to screaming kids don't have the genes evolution wants.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Rukia
Pleasure Kitten

Post by Rukia »

I was talking to SB and he made the point that because they have the same scream mothers have evolved to pick up on tonal differences so they can tell the difference between happy and playing and "being murderlized."

I have been around kids enough that I can tell the difference between a happy cry and a upset or a hurt cry. Even in other children, not just my five year old brother.
shark42bait: you are evil...
shark42bait: i admire that in a woman....
I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in an AWESOME rack!
"if you want to get out of a speeding ticket short skirts and crying are still the way to go" Kairy on "mythbusters"

LimePink: "Um, Mr. President? I was doing a suduko puzzle, and based on the hidden co-ordinates in the grid, I think Osama Bin Laden is either here : points on map: or here :points to another spot within 5 miles:. Also, Jay-Z killed Tupac Shakur and the lost treasure of Atlantis actually turned to the glacier that sunk the Titanic."
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Thanks for the explanations. I guess I might understand one of these days if I ever have kids.

New random thing: adding cheese to rice only makes the rice less filling. An amount of rice that I would normally consider a meal becomes merely a snack if I put cheese on top. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's just me. Still doesn't make sense.

Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

New random thing: adding cheese to rice only makes the rice less filling. An amount of rice that I would normally consider a meal becomes merely a snack if I put cheese on top. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's just me. Still doesn't make sense.
Ah you have stumbled onto one of the great mysteries of neurology, how do the digestive hormones affect the brain? Basically when you add cheese different hormones are activated in your stomach which tell your brain its time to eat protein which triggers a funny response where it expects a meal size meal in terms of composition. The exact mechanism for how this association is made, or how your brain interperts the chemical signals is unknown. Not only that it changes how the cheese rice physically acts in your stomach instead of swelling and being like a big starchy balloon it can be more lumpy and make you "feel" less full.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
Ali Sama
Initiate

Post by Ali Sama »

I found this video when looking through stage 7. jeez. rofl.
It would be funnier if we where created due to the error. We are the glitch in the system. ^_-
http://www.stage6.com/user/phil13/video ... an-Windows
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230

My live Journal
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

I like being able to go into the woods and eat berries that I pick along the way. I've learned in the last couple weeks that I'm fond of salmonberries, thimbleberries, indian plums, and red huckleberries. Also, the native blackberries around here are much better than the introduced blackberries.

Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Something I wonder: there are many, many those stupid kids (I don't care how old they are; I'm still calling them kids) who carve their initials or declarations of eternal love into park benches, picnic tables, school desks, trees, etc.; how many of them actually stay with that person after their act of vandalism? Also, how long does it take for the vast majority to break up? I'm guessing no more than three months after messing up a good picnic table in the public park, the morons are already with someone else and carving up some rocks elsewhere with their newest love graffiti.

Alas, I will never know the actual numbers, which would probably between "makes me want to cry at the stupidity of the species" and "makes me want to run over teenagers." So somewhere in the range of "makes me want to inject them with counter-hormones to cancel out the hormones that make them stupid. And if they set couches on fire at the public overlook and threw them off the cliff into the county park (and island's largest intact madrona forest), damn near setting the whole thing ablaze, they get to be the lab rats when I experiment on it."

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

- George Washington

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

- William Pitt, Enlish Prime Minister - Nov. 18, 1783

I think I want to remember theses.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

I may have three kidneys.

Totally not kidding. On my dad's side, a number of family members have three kidneys, mostly women. I know my grandmother did and at least one of my aunts, plus I think a few others. It might be something that goes down the maternal line so my dad didn't pass it on to me. But there might be others; it's impossible to know without doing a scan and seeing.

The way it works is that, well, you know how you have two kidneys, one on each side? Here, one side is actually a double, two functioning kidneys separated by a thin membrane. They both work just fine and cause no issues unless one of them gets stones, which could happen to any single kidney. I think that's usually how they find out about it, too.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

So in addition to all the other cool things about you, you may have a cool mutation as well? :wink:
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh yay... Online Training Course.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

I often experience something I call "first derivative guilt." It's for those times when I don't feel guilty or bad about something even though I know I should, so I feel bad about not feeling bad about it, although I don't feel directly bad about it. It's not as strong as actually feeling guilty.

There can be second derivative guilt too, but that's far more rare, and at that point I can just ignore it. If I ever had a chance to burn down my hometown, I might, deep down inside, experience some nth degree guilt, but it'd be such a flimsy thing that it wouldn't get in my way of enjoying the flames.

speaker-to-trolls
Acolyte

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

I sometimes feel first derivative guilt, then I feel self loathing for feeling it, but I'm not sure what a term for that self loathing would be, if there is one. 'First Derivative Guilt Primary Emo Reflex'? I don't know, I'm not a psychologist...

Thought for the day: Bargains, bargains are a horribly fraudulent thing, I've just drank a full pint of guinness because it was being sold for less money than usual, I hate Guinness (what in the hell is so special about it? It's thick beer, that is IT). The fact that these things are scams isn't so notable, what's notable is that people repeatedly fall for them, even people like me who know they're being scammed, and that they DON'T need 3 rolls of wrapping paper for the price of one, one will be quite enough, but get 3 anyway...

EDIT: And a slightly more intellectual second random thought; I think it may be easier to think about eternity than about very long, but finite, stretches of time. This sounds completely back to front, but consider, when you talk about eternity you are essentially talking about something that's fixed, so a constant state of suffering/bliss/oblivion/etc. This is why eternity is usually talked about along with death, because saying one state lasts forever is as good as saying all other states end. But trying to think about a million years that are just as changeable and eventful as our own lives, but part of a timescale that would swallow all of human history a hundred times over, that's tricky. Likewise it is hard to imagine all of that time and all the events that happened in it passing away and giving way to another million years.
Last edited by speaker-to-trolls on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm goin' to hell (he's goin' to hell) in a handbasket (in a hanbasket), I'd pray if I had the guile.
No it ain't no word of a fib, I'd rather be a smear on the devils bib; cos on my knees repenting ain't my style!"
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

A 96yr old man dies at 3:30p on Christmas Day in his daughter's house.

I had to wonder if he'd opened his gifts and had dinner first....

Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

You know the saying about not being able to eat your cake and have it too? Why would you want to have cake, except to eat it? I've never understood that. I don't want to just have it unless I am going to eat it later. Is the saying supposed to mean "you can't have something now and have it later also"? Because I could get more cake later if I wanted to eat cake later.

speaker-to-trolls
Acolyte

^I always assumed whoever had the cake also wanted to keep it around for aesthetic reasons. At my sisters 16th birthday, for instance, she had a fantastic cake in the shape of a pirate ship. Alas, she could not have the cake intact and also eat it.

I recently had to revise for a biochemistry exam and bioenergetics is a bit depressing to read about. I mean, first of all there's the fundamentals, the energy of the universe is constant and everything tends towards entropy, then there's the specifics, like the way anything that reduces entropy is 'disfavourable'. You get the impression the universe really could be run by the Auditors, balancing out the entropy on their balance sheets while going "well I suppose these things can exist, but I'm not happy about it".[/i]
"I'm goin' to hell (he's goin' to hell) in a handbasket (in a hanbasket), I'd pray if I had the guile.
No it ain't no word of a fib, I'd rather be a smear on the devils bib; cos on my knees repenting ain't my style!"
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

WELCOME TO THE AGE OF OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

So if having a Muslim dad makes you Muslim...
And having a Jewish Mother makes you Jewish...

Then having both makes you...what, Catholic?
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Nevaeh Perphekt (last name withheld)

Yeah, some people really hate their kids

speaker-to-trolls
Acolyte

Do you know how males came to exist?
According to some theories, in earlier times all sexually reproducing organisms would have produced complete egg cells, or cells would have budded off and exchanged DNA in the way some protozoa do now. But some animals started producing smaller sex cells, because one can produce more of these smaller cells for the same amount of resources as you can produce a few larger cells. But, obviously, a reduction in the size of one cell means less nutrients, fewer organelles, and so on, so other sex cells had to compensate. Thus the egg and sperm were born!
This is only the outline of the theory which I've been taught(and it's confusing because it doesn't really explain hermaphrodites), but still, it does not cast us males in a good light.

An unrelated thought: There are over 200 extrasolar planets which we have discovered, and all of them have dry alphanumeric names. Someone should get to work on naming them properly.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

We only use the good names for places we happen to live on.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I signed a birth certificate for a child names "Theoden King"... and I was one of only two people in the office who got the joke.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I hope this kid grows up to be totally awesome... If I had the address I would send Marines pamphlets, because LotR Thoeden would totally been a Marine in real life.