An open letter to Charlie Gibson and George Stephanapoulos

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

Derek Thunder
Disciple

#1 An open letter to Charlie Gibson and George Stephanapoulos

Post by Derek Thunder »

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/atty ... oulos.html
It's hard to know where to begin with this, less than an hour after you signed off from your Democratic presidential debate here in my hometown of Philadelphia, a televised train wreck that my friend and colleague Greg Mitchell has already called, quite accurately, "a shameful night for the U.S. media." It's hard because -- like many other Americans -- I am still angry at what I just witnesses, so angry that it's hard to even type accurately because my hands are shaking. Look, I know that "media criticism" -- especially when it's one journalist speaking to another -- tends to be a genteel, colleagial thing, but there's no genteel way to say this.

With your performance tonight -- your focus on issues that were at best trivial wastes of valuable airtime and at worst restatements of right-wing falsehoods, punctuated by inane "issue" questions that in no way resembled the real world concerns of American voters -- you disgraced my profession of journalism, and, by association, me and a lot of hard-working colleagues who do still try to ferret out the truth, rather than worry about who can give us the best deal on our capital gains taxes. But it's even worse than that. By so badly botching arguably the most critical debate of such an important election, in a time of both war and economic misery, you disgraced the American voters, and in fact even disgraced democracy itself. Indeed, if I were a citizen of one of those nations where America is seeking to "export democracy," and I had watched the debate, I probably would have said, "no thank you." Because that was no way to promote democracy...
I'll give the long and short of it. The debate tonight between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton was one of the most shameful affairs in modern political discourse. It took 49 minutes before the ABC moderators asked any questions about policy. Almost a full hour had passed spent piling on Obama about scandals which had either been addressed (Reverend Wright) or which had been considered trivial by most (flag pins and such). The questions that were asked sounded almost like fishing for right-wing sound bites - this was an actual question asked: "Sen. Obama, do you believe that Reverend Wright is as patriotic as you are?" The policy questions that were asked were strange in that they had little to do with any salient issues and seemed more like gotcha-questions - tax cuts aren't a particularly important issue for the average American right now but 20 minutes of the debate were spent badgering the candidates to pledge a "no new taxes" platform; Gibson even engaged in a sort of pro-supply side pantomime with Obama, deriving correlation between capital gains taxes and economic growth, without proving or giving evidence for any causal relationship.

Roughly 7 minutes of the opening half was spent on an extremely tenuous connection between Obama's run for the Illinois state legislature and a former member of the Weather Underground, which interestingly shut its doors about the time Obama was celebrating his twelfth birthday. The question was asked by George Stephanapoulos and originated from none other than Sean Hannity (He recommended the question be asked to Stephanopoulos weeks before the debate).

The fact that Mrs. Clinton felt it necessary to "pile on" and thrash Obama at the same time a the moderators was troubling as well, but let's be honest, any expectations of moral rectitude from the Clintons is a game of endless, woeful disappointment.
Last edited by Derek Thunder on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Wikipedia is mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. We all know Ray J. We all know he's a singer. He's Brandy's brother. And he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But, did you also know he's Snoop Dogg's cousin AND he was in the 1996 Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks? Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page!'"[/align]
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Thanks for posting this.

I want to say as shameful as this "debate" was, the fact that someone in the media is willing to say something about the sorry state of affairs is a good thing.

I just wish this wasn't so isolated.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Derek Thunder
Disciple

Post by Derek Thunder »

The Washington Post weighs in:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00013.html
When Barack Obama met Hillary Clinton for another televised Democratic candidates' debate last night, it was more than a step forward in the 2008 presidential election. It was another step downward for network news -- in particular ABC News, which hosted the debate from Philadelphia and whose usually dependable anchors, Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos, turned in shoddy, despicable performances.
Video!

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/04/1 ... g-america/
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Wikipedia is mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. We all know Ray J. We all know he's a singer. He's Brandy's brother. And he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But, did you also know he's Snoop Dogg's cousin AND he was in the 1996 Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks? Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page!'"[/align]
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

That was.... well written, despite some spelling errors and a missing definite article... god damn....
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I didn't see the debate live, but I'll watch it tonight on Youtube. I heard from others that it was a shameful morass compared to the others, but I didn't suspect it would be this bad.
Last edited by rhoenix on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

That debate was a peice of shit. And the questions were a mix of 'Gimmes' to Clinton, 'Gotchas' to Obama, and at least one utter peice of bullshit planted by Hannity and the rest of the Right Wing Radio Echo Chamber.

Every 'substance' question in the rushed second half presumed the Republican answer: The 'serious people' will insist you stay in Iraq. Taxes are bad. etc. Etc.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Lonestar
Acolyte

Post by Lonestar »

The Washington Post-Express had a shirt article with Charlie Gibson and George bitchin' and moaning that they took their moderator roles very seriously and that they asked questions the American people wanted to know the answers too.

To the WaPo's credit, it commented that they dragged out questions about Wright, snipers, elitists, etc while giving much less time to questions about the economy and the war in Iraq.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy!" -J.F.K.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Yep. The questions Americans offered.

Americans like Sean Hannity.

Say, doesn't he have his own show for that?
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Lonestar
Acolyte

Post by Lonestar »

SirNitram wrote:Yep. The questions Americans offered.

Americans like Sean Hannity.

Say, doesn't he have his own show for that?
Did you see the Daily Show last night?

"Great job Charlie and George. You took insipid, out-of-context quotes and built them up to make them issues.

That's my job. I'm the funny man. You are suppose to be the journalists."
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy!" -J.F.K.