[Exalted] Protectors of the River Province OOC

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

The Nomad
Initiate

#1 [Exalted] Protectors of the River Province OOC

Post by The Nomad »

Since I've got all of the published 2nd edition books now (and will have The Compass of Celestial Direction Vol. IV: The Underworld when the game begins :cool: ), I wondered if anyone here would fancy a game of Exalted. I don't know yet what it will be, or the exact format it will take (I'm partial to rolling dice for the players myself :twisted: or forego the mechanics, except for character sheets). I'll think harder about it in two weeks, after my exams, but in the meantime you can post here to say whether you're interested or what kind of game you'd fancy (conquest, adventure, intrigue/investigation...).

I envision several possibilities: mixed Solars/Lunars/outcaste Dragon-Bloods; Dynast Dragon-Bloods; Sidereals; or Abyssals. I may make a totally mixed game if the background and tone allow for it, though it would be stretching things a bit.

I'll probably ask a standard character sheet, just to get an idea, but after that I'll try to make it more mechanics-light.
Last edited by The Nomad on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Grim Squeaker
Initiate

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I'd be up for a game. I actually have the rulebook (old ed, somewhere) so it shouldn't bee too hard :smile:
Formerly known as the .303 bookworm
Veni, Vidi,Vici.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/ ... 0av/CW.jpg[/img]
My Photography
My Picasa based Photography

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much: the wheel, New York, wars while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in water having a good time.
But the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I'd be willing to consider it, as I'm somewhat interested - however, the last time I looked at the books was the first edition ones.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Augh augh augh.. Must try to resist siren's call of Exalted... Must try..

I am weak.

I am totally up for a Solar or a Gold Faction Sidereal.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Nit made me a Lunar a while back, just so I could see how it worked. I've still got her in my PM box...

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

SirNitram wrote:I am totally up for a Solar or a Gold Faction Sidereal.
Wow...You actually mentioned Sidereals.

For the love of all that's holy I hope White Wolf toned them the fuck down. I mean, one of the Sidereal Dodge Charms, as a combat charm mind you, let them go to the GM "Oh wait nevermind, see I actually over the other way, so my character never got into an encounter with that thing. Sorry for the confusion! :grin:"

And please, let's not get into Sidereal martial arts. Let's just not.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

I plan to take bits of Prismatic Array Of Creation either way. It's shiny. Expensive as hell, but shiny.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

Actually... that charm still exists. Avoidance Kata. Nice little bugger.
But don't worry, I disallow SMAs at chargen :razz: (as a matter of fact, I disallow Essence 4 at chargen too, as well as most individual items of background above 3 (so Artifact 2+3 is ok, but Artifact 5 is not) without a good justification). Be sure to take at least 2 dots of Sifu if you want any SMA later :razz:
Last edited by The Nomad on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

The Nomad wrote:Actually... that charm still exists. Avoidance Kata. Nice little bugger.
But don't worry, I disallow SMAs at chargen :razz: (as a matter of fact, I disallow Essence 4 at chargen too, as well as most individual items of background above 3 (so Artifact 2+3 is ok, but Artifact 5 is not) without a good justification). Be sure to take at least 2 dots of Sifu if you want any SMA later :razz:
Well, since you put it like that...

When I was working on my Exalted story project, I ended up creating a Solar-level martial art. If you're okay with it, and you're willing to tell me what my character would have to accomplish to end up with it, I'd like to hear it. By its design, one must have finished one other martial art before one can begin taking Charms from this one. (Journey of the Wandering Maiden Style)

Whether I actually end up joining the game or not, you're welcome to use it if you wish.

If I do end up playing, it'll likely be as a Solar.

- William Gibson

The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

If by Solar you actually mean Sidereal (there are three circles of martial arts: Terrestrial, Celestial, Sidereal) then it is anyway a requirement to have mastered at least one complete Celestial Martial Arts tree.

Assuming I accept it (I'm too new an Exalted STer to accurately predict how it will affect game balance, would you mind if I posted it on one of my Exalted discussion boards to submit it to the expert scrutiny of experienced players and STers?), I presume it is possible for a device left in your long lost Manse (which will have to be found in-game, and probably late in-game at that) by your old Sidereal Sifu to teach you this SMA.

Be aware that there are significant differences in the game system between 1stEd and 2ndEd, so it might need to be considerably tweaked to fit in the game if you designed it with 1stEd rules. Will see it after my exams.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

That's fine, go ahead and post it. Keep in mind, this is certainly not something my character would get right away. Basically about the time other characters might be finding diaklaives and such, is about when I'd be starting to go for it.
Last edited by rhoenix on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- William Gibson

The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

Even for Sidereals, SMAs are something that will appear later in game, so for you, it might even be an end-of-campaign goal (but that's good, you're giving me inspiration to tie it into the metaplot :twisted: ). If it's a comparatively low-powered SMA, you might get it in the same time others have access to SMAs.
If it's in a Manse, you will get a probably 4 to 5 dots Manse later in game too, complete with an astrological obfuscation field (or the equivalent, Oadenal's Codex is teeming with Manse customisation options, I'll have to read it closely :grin: ), so it's a very nice asset too.

You'll get shiny artifacts long before you remember it ever existed :razz:
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

The Nomad wrote:If it's in a Manse, you will get a probably 4 to 5 dots Manse later in game too, complete with an astrological obfuscation field (or the equivalent, Oadenal's Codex is teeming with Manse customisation options, I'll have to read it closely :grin: ), so it's a very nice asset too.

You'll get shiny artifacts long before you remember it ever existed :razz:
I like that option very much. It does sound interesting, but again, I once had several of the first edition books, but I've never read the second edition books, nor do I have access to them.

So, we shall see.

- William Gibson

The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

What is probably my last post before my first flurry of exams will be a recommendation for an Exalted comics (OotS style): Keychains of Creation. Fun and entertaining.
The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

Being in between exams, I am briefly available if you have questions.

It is most likely going to be a Lunar/Solar team. You'll get from starting Exalts to Essence ~6 threequartergods, if not more, since I plan to make it an open, long-term campaign, which means you'll eventually forge your own destiny and have profound impacts on Creation. What form it will take will be mostly left to you: after the initial campaign start, you will have freedom to explore Creation, or even the Underworld, Yu Shan, the Wyld (the 2nd ed setting books that have been published focus on: the West, Scavenger Lands, the Wyld, Yu Shan, the Blessed Isle, and soon the Underworld) and set up you own long term goals.
Last edited by The Nomad on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Question: Where are we starting? The East and the Hundred Kingdoms?

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

NM. I'll just post what I have so far.
Teamhair Tahalshia - Lunar Exalted
Caste: Changing Moon
(Anima Power: Spent 10 Essense motes to appear as someone you know. Bonus to actions to help the disguise, equal to Perm Essense.)
Spirit Shape: Fox
Tell: Fox Ears.

(* denotes Caste Attribute, ** Favoured)
Attributes:
Strength: 3 **Dex: 4 Stamina: 3
*Charisma: 4 *Manipulation: 3 *Appearance: 4
Perception: 2 Intelligence: 2 Wits: 3

Abilities:(* denotes Favoured)
*Survival: 3 *Melee: 4(+3 Speciality In War Fan) Performance: 3(+3 Speciality In Fan Dance) Martial Arts: 2 Dodge: 3 Awareness: 2 Athletics: 3 War: 2 Stealth: 2 Socialize: 2

Backgrounds:
Heartsblood: 1
(Shapes:
MynaBird
RiverOtter
Giant Essence Spider (Stats: 4/5/4 phys, bite deals 5L + poison(4L an hour, toxicity of 3, -4 to treat))
Resources: 2 (Men pay well to watch me dance)
Solar Bond: 1 (two dots per story to aid Solar Mate (Orduin) )
Artifact: 2(Moonsilver War Fan)

Knacks:
Prey's Skin Disguise (Can shapeshift into humans)
Life Of The Hummingbird (Can gain a shape temporarily by tasting blood of the living)
Deadly Beastman Transformation (Crinos! Well, Kitsune, at least.).

Charms:
Third Dexerity Excellency: Essense Resurgent (Pay 3 motes, get a reroll on any dex roll)
Golden Tiger Stance (Pay 2 motes, eliminate up to your Dex in penalties to dodge or parry)
Third Charisma Excellency: Cobra Hypnotic Method (Pay 7 motes, roll Charisma + Presense for one, Performance for a group. They remain immobile for a number of actions equal to your Perm. Essense.)
Hide Of The Cunning Hunter (Hold 2 Essense in reserve; all identifying marks, Moonsilver tattoos, Tell, and so forth, vanish)
Wind Dancing Method (3 motes, *Counter-Attk*. When attacked, may leap up to Dex+Dodge Yards in any direction)
Butterfly Eyes Defense (3 motes Reflexive. Until next action, perfect defense all attacks unless foe wins Perc+Awareness roll Diff = my Manipulation.)
Relentless Lunar Fury: (1 Mote, 1 Will. Duration Essx2) -- +1 Success to all Combat rolls, Increase Excellency Cap by (Attribute + Ess). Ignore Fatigue and all -1 Wound Penalties. May activate up to (Ess) "Fury OK" charms for duration of Lunar Fury.
Foot-Trapping Counter -- (2 motes, Reflexive) Target rolls (Dex + Athletics, Diff = Lunar's Dex) or be unable to disengage or retreat from melee range.

Virtues: Compassion 2 Valor 3 Temperance 2 Conviction 3
Virtue Flaw: Valor - Curse Of The Raging Bull(When triggered, anything can start a fight.)

Willpower: 6
Essence: 3
Personal Essence Pool: 15 Motes
Periphial Essence Pool: 36 Motes(Spending more than 11 motes in a scene from this pool causes her to be wrapped in light and dark, shifting and moving. Add Essence to the difficulty of any attempt to identify her)

Artifact: Heaven Thunder Leaves. Two war fans. In addition, add two dice to Performance rolls for dancing. With at least three successes, can attract local 'Little Gods', and each additional success adds one dice to influencing them, up to six. Speed 5, Accuracy +4, Damage Strength +1 Lethal, Defense + 4, max attacks per round 3.

Warform Stats:
Strength 4, Dex 5, Stamina 4.
Fangs for Strength+4 Lethal damage, +4 to both Bashing and Lethal soak, +4 to Survival rolls, +2 on Athletics rolls.
Does not bleed when dying. Can regenerate up to severed limbs (one hour for such extreme dismemberment).
Mutations 7pts:
Fangs(x2): 1 point(x2). Can use Bite for +4L with a Martial Arts attack. Add strength.
Tail: 1 points. +2 dice to Athletics for balance
Armoured Hide(Thick fur): 4 points. +4L/+4B soak. +4 dice to Survival rolls.
Dodge Value: 5(6 in War Form)
Parry Value: 7(8 in War Form)
(Activate Third Dex Excellency to add 2 to either for an instant.)

Motivation:
Protect the River Confederation in the Scavenger Lands via spycraft and assassination.

Intimacies:
1. The River and its people
Background (rough):

In the Scavenger Lands runs a great river, connecting many cities together in a web of trade. These cities, the River Confederation, work together in a delicate balance to keep trade flowing, keep pirates from disrupting shipments, and to keep merchant houses and cities from undercutting or overcharging their rivals.

It doesn't always work out as planned, thus a good spy in the right place is always a bonus. Even before her Exaltation, Teamhair had been trained in the gentle arts of courtesan and entertainer, so better to get close to those in power.

After her Exaltation, Teamhair found far more to do. There were not just the fellow cities for the River Confederation to be wary of, but Lookshy's armies and the undead armies within the captured city of Thorn that could threaten the River and her people. Her new skills and the gifts given by Luna could protect the River Confederation, both from itself and from all who would harm it.
Last edited by LadyTevar on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.

SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

After noticing the bit where it says there were once manuals on how to deal with Solars Exalting when in combat with Gunzosha armor, I made this guy. Fixer and military strategist.

Orduin KavalOrduin Kaval
Concept: Solar Exalted Gunzosha commando.
Caste: Twilight.
Anima Power: Spend 5 motes to deduct Essence damage levels from any attack, post-soak. Activates for scene at 11-13 level of anima banner.
Motivation: Ressurect Deheleson and expand Lookshy's First Age infrastructure.

Physical: Strength 3 Dexterity 4 Stamina 3
Social: Charisma 2 Manipulation 3 Appearance 2
Mental: Intelligence 5 Perception 3 Wits 3

Abilities(* denotes Caste ability. **denotes Favored.)
**Melee 5
**War 2
**Integrity 3
**Presense 2
**Resistance 3
*Craft(Fire) 2
*Craft(Air) 2
*Craft(Water) 1
*Craft(Magitech) 4
*Investigation 1
*Lore 3
*Medicine 1
*Occult 3

Backgrounds
Arsenal 3(Stone of Bamboo, Gunzosha Armor, Daiklaive, Aegis-Inset amulets, Gauntlets of Universal Crafting)
Resources 2
Connetions(Directorate Of Stores, Lookshy) 2

Charms
Whirlwind Lightning Donning Prana(Accelerate donning of armor by from minutes to actions. 1m)
Lightning-Hauberk Gesture(Store armor and shields Elsewhere, don for 1m)
1st Presense Excellcency(Up to attribute + ability for 1 mote per dice added)
1st Craft Excellency(Up to attribute + ability for 1 mote per dice added)
1st Melee Excellency(Up to attribute + ability for 1 mote per dice added)
One Weapon, Two Blows(Add one to Rate and Accuracy of weapon until next action)
Peony Blossom Attack(Spend 2 motes to add attacks up to Essence + 1, no flurry penalty)
Iron Whirlwind Attack(Spend 1 wp and 5 motes to attack Dex + 1 times, no flurry penalty)
Dipping Swallow Defense(Spend 1 mote to remove all DV penalties from one attack)
Bulwark Stance(Spend 5 motes to remove all DV penalties until next action)
Heavenly Guardian Defense(Spend 4 motes to perfectly parry any attack, even if unblockable. If raw damage is over 25L, a mundane weapon used to parry this way breaks. Cannot be used if it would run contrary to Motivation(Conviction Flaw).)
Call The Blade(1 mote to summon blade to hand from up to Essence x 10 yards away. Reflexive.)
Iron Raptor Strike(2 motes to fling weapon up to Essence x 8 yards away as a normal, no-penalty Melee attack. Simple. At Ess 4, may pay 4 motes and cast a blast of golden essence that cannot be blocked without stunt or charm.)
Blazing Solar Bolt(3 motes, 1 wp to fire blast of pure essence. Accuracy is Melee + Dex + Essence, normal benefits from combo'd excellencies, range Essence x 10, cannot be blocked or parried without use of charms, ignores cover + shields, deals L damage with the Holy tag of Essence + Willpower. Simple, speed 4.)
Craftsmen Need No Tools(8 motes, 1 wp, replaces tools for mundane work and eases penalty for artifacts, each hour of work is now equal to Essense*3(Presently, 9 hours).

Combos:
Loyal Soldier's Blade: 1st Melee Excellency + Heavenly Guardian Defense.

Virtues
Compassion 3 Valor 2 Conviction 2 Temperance 2
Virtue Flaw
Compassionate Martyrdom(Must protect others who are suffering. Partial control allows to fight back.)

Essence 3

Willpower 5

Intimacies
Helping Lookshy's poor
Creating Magitech
Hating Mask Of Winters

Health Levels
0, -1, -1, -2, -2, -4, Incap, 3 Dying.

Bonus Points: Craft(Magitech) 2->3 1 pt, Melee 3->5 2 pts, Resistance 3->4 1 pt, Essence 2->3 7 pts, Dex 3->4 4 pts.

Combat Stuff:
Speed 5
Accuracy 13(14 with Gunzosha, 15 with One Weapon Two Blows)
Damage 9L(11L with Gunzosha)
Rate 4
PDV 6(7 with Gunzosha)
DDV 3
Soak 3B/3L(12B/12L with Gunzosha)
Hardness 0(5L/5B with Gunzosha)
(Gunzosha also adds +2 Awareness, +2 Resistance, heals one Bashing per combat action and all Bashing out of combat, and +4 to Stealth)

Social Stuff:
Speed 4
'Accuracy' 5
Rate 2
DMDV 6
PMDV 3

Personal Essence: 14
Periphial Essence: 18, out of 35(3 commited for Gunzosha + Aegis. 2 committed for Bracers. 6 committed for Tiger Claws, 9 committed to Gunzosha via Armoured Scout's Invigoration.)
Last edited by SirNitram on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

LadyTevar wrote:Question: Where are we starting? The East and the Hundred Kingdoms?
"Somewhere in the Scavenger Lands..." :wink:
I don't know yet, I'm waiting to have the backgrounds of the other players to cook something up.

To those who don't have the 2nd ed books, we'll discuss character concepts and stats from Friday on (still have exams this week :sad: ).
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I can change the location of her home to Scavenger Lands. Nooo problem. :)

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

EDIT: I take that back completely.

Give me some time to familiarize myself with the changes between 1st and 2nd edition, and I'll make a beginning character.
Last edited by rhoenix on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

I may participate in this game if it looks like its getting off the ground. I do own the 2nd ed core and most of the caste source books. I would go Solar of course, the only good sidereal is a dead sidereal.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Marcao wrote:I would go Solar of course, the only good sidereal is a dead sidereal.
Amen to that, good sir.
The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

So you're thirsting for Siddie blood? Be careful what you wish for :twisted: ...
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

The Nomad wrote:So you're thirsting for Siddie blood? Be careful what you wish for :twisted: ...
Their martial arts are cool enough. However, all that I've read about the Sidereals themselves screams "rich kid trying to run shit."

Even though the Abyssals work for Deathlords and such, at least they're very direct about what they do, and you can even give them a degree of respect for it, even if you're not down with that whole Abyss thing.