Time to upgrade the GPU, worried about cooling.

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Rogue 9
Master

#1 Time to upgrade the GPU, worried about cooling.

Post by Rogue 9 »

So I'm going to play Star Citizen, just got the dogfighting module beta, and lo and behold my GPU can't handle it.

Which is honestly not a surprise, so it's time for an upgrade. (Incidentally, I don't know why it says I'm running DirectX 10; I know it's actually DX 11.)

Minimum system requirements include NVidia Geforce 460GTX or AMD Radeon HD5850. Recommended is GTX 670 or higher, and to run smoothly at maximum graphics settings they recommend a GTX 780.

I know what to do with getting and installing cards, but my concerns are power supply and cooling. I take it as a given that I'll need to upgrade the power supply (currently 300W), but cooling is my major concern. My current card's thermal design power is 11W, while I'm looking at cards with TDPs of 160W or greater. Can the stock fans handle it, or will I need to add more and/or replace the case?
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton