Japanese ship hijacked in Africa

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Japanese ship hijacked in Africa

Post by frigidmagi »

BBC
Pirates have hijacked a Japanese ship off the East African coast - the latest in a series of similar incidents near the war-torn country of Somalia.

The vessel, thought to be a tanker with a crew of Burmese, Philippine and South Korean sailors, was seized in the Gulf of Aden early on Sunday.

Officials say they are trying to find out what the pirates' demands are.

The area is notorious for piracy - of 16 reported hijackings worldwide this year, 11 were off the Somali coast.

Lawless waters

The International Maritime Bureau (IMB) said they received a distress call from the vessel in the Gulf of Aden on Sunday.

"We tried to contact the vessel, but there was absolutely no contact," the IMB's Cyrus Mody told BBC News.

He said coalition forces in the area were contacted, and they confirmed the ship had been taken into Somali territorial waters.

There are thought to be 23 crew members on board the vessel, none of whom is Japanese.

The incident comes two weeks after a cargo ship was hijacked on its way to Mombasa in Kenya.

The IMB said there was still no information on the safety of the crew.

Analysts say Somali waters are increasingly lawless, and merchant ships are advised to stay 200 miles from its shores.

The IMB rates Somalia as the second most high risk country for piracy in the world, after Indonesia.
It occurs to me that we do have an entire branch of the military not really doing much right now... UNLEASH THE USN!
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

One would think the USN could handle pirates pretty well....

I mean, just send in a Carrier group, or a couple of frigates or even destroyers to patrol the area every so often, on a varying schedual so the Pirates never know when there is a group in the area just out of their intel range.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#3 U.S. warship sinks two pirate skiffs

Post by frigidmagi »

CNN
A U.S. Navy warship fired on and sank two skiffs used by pirates Sunday to hijack a merchant vessel off the coast of Somalia, U.S. officials said Monday.

The destroyer USS Porter enters port at Souda Bay, Greece, in 2006.

The USS Porter responded to a distress call from the merchant vessel carrying benzene, the officials said. Sunday's shooting took place in international waters, they said.

At the request of Somalia's government, a second U.S. warship, the destroyer USS Arleigh Burke, is now shadowing the merchant ship inside Somali waters, the officials said.

In recent years, warships have stayed outside the 12-mile limit when chasing pirates.

The officials said that when the Porter fired on the skiffs tied up to the merchant vessel, it was not known the ship was filled with highly flammable benzene.

The U.S. ships are part of a international coalition that operates in the region to stop piracy and terrorism.

In June there was a similar incident when the USS Carter Hall fired warning shots to attempt to stop a hijacked Danish cargo ship off Somalia, but the Hall had to turn away when the pirated ship entered Somali waters
That was quick...
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

#4 Re: U.S. warship sinks two pirate skiffs

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:That was quick...
That's why the navy never has anything to do.

"Whoo! Pirates!"

"Oh, yeah, we already got them."

"Oh... well, what'd we do now?"
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

They didn't get the pirates, though; they got the unoccupied skiffs the pirates used as they were tied to the ship. The pirates were all on board.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Lonestar
Acolyte

Post by Lonestar »

Dark Silver wrote:One would think the USN could handle pirates pretty well....

I mean, just send in a Carrier group, or a couple of frigates or even destroyers to patrol the area every so often, on a varying schedual so the Pirates never know when there is a group in the area just out of their intel range.
Because I'm a lazy, good for nothing swabbie/Contractor/war profiteer I'm just going to copy and paste what I put down in SDN's thread.

It has been done years ago, I took part in such a mission. We were at the point with one CG, two DDGs, one FN FFG, and the Bonhomme Richard less than 10 miles off fo Mogadishu when the owners of the ship opted to pay the ransom rather than have us take the Feisty Gas back. The operation would have included French SF and EOD taking the ship while Marines were landed on Somalia to attack the pirate camps, all while we(my ship, plus the 2 DDGs) would have been shelling the Hell out of known Bad Guys installations. We probably would have brought Piracy in the HoA to an stop right there, and I know that we've had almost-similiar operations since, but the ships' owners always opt to pay the ransom.

So don't knock Coalition forces for this. The USN and other navies have been busting their ass working within the framework they can. There are literally dozens of Naval warships bouncing around that area
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy!" -J.F.K.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Sorry if I came off as condesending on the USN Lonestar, I wasn't. I understand within the framework and allowances they are allowed to do, their doing what they can.

But that's just it, if it wasn't for the framework, a couple of destroyers could take care of the problem in little to no time.
Last edited by Dark Silver on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.