Oprah campaigns for Obama in Iowa

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Oprah campaigns for Obama in Iowa

Post by frigidmagi »

BBC
US chat show host Oprah Winfrey has appeared at a campaign rally in Iowa for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Over 18,000 people attended the event in the state capital, Des Moines.

On 3 January, Iowa will hold the first caucus in the 2008 US presidential election, when activists will choose a candidate for their party's nomination.

Mr Obama's rival - Hillary Clinton - has also been campaigning in the state, accompanied by her mother and daughter.

'Compelled to speak'

The Oprah-Obama rally drew the biggest crowd of any campaign event in Iowa so far this year.

JOIN OUR VOTER PANEL
Voters views
We want to hear views from Iowa, New Hampshire and all the states taking part in 'Super Duper Tuesday' in 2008. This is your chance to write for the BBC News website on the election.

Find out more here
How the panel looked in 2004

"For the very first time in my life I feel compelled to stand up and speak out for the man who I believe has a new vision for America," Ms Winfrey told the crowd.

Ms Winfrey defended Mr Obama against charges that he lacks experience, saying "the amount of time you spend in Washington means nothing unless you are accountable for the judgment you made".

And she praised Mr Obama for "[standing] with clarity and conviction against this war in Iraq".

Iowans who had signed up to volunteer at least four hours of their time to the Obama campaign were given priority seats for the event.

Dozens of campaign workers were on hand to sign up fresh volunteers for the senator's electoral operation.

Ms Winfrey announced her endorsement of Mr Obama's candidacy in May, and hosted a fundraising event in September which raised $3 million (£1.5 million) for his campaign.

Key state

The race to win the Iowa Democratic caucus is very tight, with most polls showing Mr Obama, Mrs Clinton and another candidate - former Senator John Edwards - neck and neck.

Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey
Ms Winfrey (R) raised $3m for Mr Obama in September

Because it is the first state in the country to hold a caucus, presidential candidates are always keen to prove their electability by winning in Iowa.

Mrs Clinton is also campaigning hard in the state, and has appeared at an event with her mother Dorothy Rodham and her daughter Chelsea, vowing to bring "change across the generations".

In response to the Oprah-Obama rally, a Clinton staffer said "Senator Clinton is a big fan of Oprah's, and she thinks it is great for candidates to have surrogates campaign on their behalf".

Former President Bill Clinton has been supporting his wife's campaign, by appearing at events in another early primary state, South Carolina, while Hillary campaigns in Iowa.

Ms Winfrey is scheduled to attend a series of Obama campaign events in New Hampshire and South Carolina over the next few days.
Oprah? Damn, kiss that women's vote goodbye Hillary.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#2 Re: Oprah campaigns for Obama in Iowa

Post by LadyTevar »

frigidmagi wrote:Oprah? Damn, kiss that women's vote goodbye Hillary.
CNN suggested Obama run Oprah as his VP.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Knife
Apprentice

Post by Knife »

lol. I actually don't mind Obama though Opera does nothing for me. That being so, I'd imagine having O on your side will get a lot of votes.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stuart Mill
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I vastly prefer Obama over Hillary or just about everyone else running. It's not the case of him being a perfect fit for me and my beliefs or even for him being perfect. It's about the fact that he's pretty much the best choice in the field.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

frigidmagi wrote:I vastly prefer Obama over Hillary or just about everyone else running. It's not the case of him being a perfect fit for me and my beliefs or even for him being perfect. It's about the fact that he's pretty much the best choice in the field.
Pretty much my thinking. He may not be my "ideal candidate," but he does keep impressing me.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.