Transformers 2 Movie

ART: Movies, Pictures, Music the stuff that could be considered Art by some people

Moderator: frigidmagi

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1 Transformers 2 Movie

Post by LadyTevar »

yeah, I know the critics are panning it. Fuck them, they don't know good Summer Blockbuster material when it blows up on them.

Other than a few Stupid Human Moments, Transformers 2 is a solid enjoyable robotic slugfest that just had me bouncing in my seat. I give it 3 stars, one and half thumbs, and a 80% fresh tomato rating.

So what are you waiting for? :roll: GO See It!

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

When you say 3 stars, do you mean out of 4?
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Out of 10 more likely....
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

No love for transformers? You know maybe the movie is a master piece in disguise, more than meets the eye, as it continues the battle to destroy the humdrum regular summer blockbusters.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Stofsk wrote:When you say 3 stars, do you mean out of 4?
Out of 4, yes. They lose one for the Stupid Human Moments.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

LadyTevar wrote:
Stofsk wrote:When you say 3 stars, do you mean out of 4?
Out of 4, yes. They lose one for the Stupid Human Moments.
Were there fewer Stupid Human Moments than in the first one?
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

One of my main complaints about the first movie was, "Too many people; not enough giant robots beating the shit out of each other." This one had much more in the way of giant robots beating the shit out of each other, so I was satisfied.

I wasn't keeping count of the Stupid Human Moments or the Other Stupid Moments (of which there were many - seriously horrible racial stereotypes ahoy!) but with more giant robot battling they don't stick out as badly in my head. Also it's been said many times that I have no taste at all, so take this all as you will. :wink:

While I'm here, I don't get what all the reviewers are saying about the plot being confusing and them not knowing what's going on. I had no trouble keeping up with the plot at all. What's so hard about "find the Macguffins"? Do they require airplane noises while being spoon-fed?
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

The robot fights scenes were good, infact, aside from the Autobot Twins (Skids and Mudflap..goto hell you racial stereotypes...) the Transformers were better.

The stupid human moments and the waste some of the TF's where in the movie (RE: Devestator) brings it down from being a excellent Summer blockbuster..

Main complaints?

Devestator being a waste in this movie. He was basically the Cave Troll from LotR, only less effective. They could have made better use of him than they did.

Second half I found crawled along - similar to bad boys two. The first half of the movie had a good head of steam, kept it going up until the big fight in the middle.....then BOOM there was awesome.

The second half went and took all that awesome, and never quiet picked up it's second wind till the very end. This is similar to Bad Boys 2 in that you get a big build up, a knock out drag down...then it slows down.

Still to many stupid human moments. Outside of the actual NEST military, the humans were annoying. The NEST Guys were good, competent, and ass kicking. There was the annoying Presidential Appointee for Oversight....whose first move is to try his damnedest to make enemies of the Autobots...cause you know, no other country on the planet would give the Autobots asylum cause the USA rules them all.

The Twins. Fuck the Twins. That is all.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The humour was mostly lame.

The twins needed to be horribly killed by Decepticons.

The plot had huge fucking holes in it.

I, however, saw it for two reasons. The first was that my friends were seeing. The second was giant robot on giant robot combat.

The giant robots fucking rocked.

Therefore I was pleased with the movie.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I find most of the reviewers do not understand the transformers series or demographics. The CNN reviewer outright demanded that Bay understand he's making a kid movie. Maybe of the others are screaming that this should be a kids movie. It is not. The why of this is simple as we all know. Let's review the big 3 series (the are others but honestly these are the big boys in my opinion in terms of audience and such)

G1 Transformers aka The Real Series :wink: Starts in 1984 ends in 1987. I was all of 4 years old when it started and a day shy of 7 when it ended production in the US. Let's assume I was on the young side for a Trans fan and say the average age of the viewer was 8. They would be in their early 30s now.

Beast Wars aka the Cool Series :wink: Starts 1996 ends 1999. Again let's assume a kid demographic. Now bluntly Beast Wars was aimed at an older crowd then G1 was but let's assume it's a "Kids Thing" just for our reviewers. If you were 8 years old in 1996, you're 20/21 now.

Transformer Armada aka Mini-What-The-Fuck!?! :wink: Starts 2002 ends 2003. This one in my opinion was aimed squarely at the kids, which maybe why I don't care for it so much. Others do, a great deal actually. If you were 8 years old in 2002 you're 14/15 now.

None of these groups would really shell out for a kids movie now would they?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

frigidmagi wrote:None of these groups would really shell out for a kids movie now would they?
And yet Pixar films, generally geared as "kids movies" are some of the top grossing box office sells...
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Yeah, except Pixar doesn't intentionally set out to make kid's movies. They make movies that they happen to like and then they go back and make sure it's appropriate for kids. Take Ratatouille, for instance. From what I've heard from parents of young children, little kids - the supposed targeted audience - generally hated the movie. They didn't get what was going on or the humor or anything. Parents and generally people well past puberty, however, liked it. I saw it in theaters and I remember the scene where Ego (the food critic) finally ate at the restaurant and tasted Remy's work and was transported back to his childhood. Every adult in the place was cracking up and the kids were all like, "Can we leave now? I'm bored."

When people say "kid's movies" what they actually mean is "condescending idiotic bullshit, probably with burping and farting jokes." The only people who shell out for that are parents who have bratty obnoxious kids who whine until they can see it.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

That's not true at all Maya. Most of Pixar's movies are Kid's movies by the definition of movies made for kids. Just like other movies there are good ones and bad ones. The good ones are the ones that the parents enjoy as well. Take the Incredibles, Finding Nemo, WALL-E, or most recently Up. Those are all Kids' movies, and yet none of them are what I'd call condescending idiotic bullshit". Hell, forgetting Pixar and even animation for a moment, what would you call the Wizard of Oz?
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

It is true, straight from an interview with some of the guys at Pixar. They were asked how they make such good kid's films and they said it's because they don't make kid's films. They make what they like, which just so happens to be something that most everybody (which includes kids) likes. The only way it could be counted as "making a kid's movie" is the part where they go back and check to make sure there's nothing obviously bad that the kids would notice. That's it.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Mayabird wrote:When people say "kid's movies" what they actually mean is "condescending idiotic bullshit, probably with burping and farting jokes." The only people who shell out for that are parents who have bratty obnoxious kids who whine until they can see it.
This was what I was referring to. I know that Pixar has their own unique take on the matter, but you were referring to kids films in general. Most well done "kids" movies are unquestionably designed for kids, particularly if you branch out beyond Pixar. When I think of kids films, I think of the Disney films from when I was a kid (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King), or the live action movies I was made to watch then (Neverending Story, Wizard of Oz, etc...). There are dozens of exceptionally well-done kids films out there that are clearly for kids. That's all I was saying.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

I found this review, and thought I'd share.

So, not a favorable review. :grin:

I haven't seen it yet, myself.

Link

[quote]Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is fucking shite.

4 Jul 2009
Dear. Fucking. God.

I liked the first Transformers movie, it was a good switch your brain off movie. This isn’t. Your brain will switch off but due to the sheer amount of audio and visual stimuli. And that’s not a compliment, the higher parts of your brain will simply shut off because they can’t handle the sheer inept nature of the awful movie. At the time of writing I can only think of one movie that I have seen that is worse, that being Mel Gibson’s “What Women Want.â€
Last edited by The Minx on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

I came in watching this movie wanting major amounts of Transformers action and that is what I got. I didn't enjoy many parts of the human aspect of TF1 which I felt were stupid, took too much time, and could've been cut out of the movie but in TF2 they were tolerable and even enjoyable at times.

Devastator was a bit disappointing but it wasn't enough to detract my enjoyment from the rest of the movie.

4/5
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Well, I just got back from seeing it with a friend of mine and my two nephews at IMAX, and the verdict is unanimous: this movie rocks!

Also, that movie review was written by a douchecock.
Mared
Pleasure Kitten

Post by Mared »

I loved it, and loved the twins. They were cute and funny, sterotypes be damned.

That is all.
There is a really good chance that I am seriously fucked up. But don't worry....I like me that way.
Mizuki_Stone
Acolyte

Post by Mizuki_Stone »

I liked the movie, my only real complaint to it was Megaton taking what appeared to be about three levels of suck. This is of course countered by the Seven or so levels in awesome Optimus took, not the least of it him getting his new battle armor-o-doom, (has heard rumors that it'll essentially become his tailer so it may get a repeat)

Even Meg's apparent lack of raw ruthless killer instinct is somewhat excusable considering the guy just came back from death. I'd image that to be rather traumatizing, even if your a massive killer robot. Hopefully he'll revert soon enough, and start making full use of his new upgrades.

The Twins... I have somewhat mixed feelings on them, on one hand they appear like stereotypes, on the other, they are actually capable at there job, and we've seen TF's imprint on stereotypes before, just typically more in the mid range then the lower end of the spectrum.

The human moments... well they have being cut down a bit, there will be less of them in the next one do to the way the story's playing out. First movie introduced the key players and factions, second set up the scenario we all know and love (need energy!) and brought everything to public, third... well my friends, the third can only be open war. :)

Also I need to know, am I the only one who started actually LIKEING Simmons at the end of it? I felt somewhat ill when I realized I was routing for him.
Knowledge is power, Power corrupts.

Study hard, Be evil! :)
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Finally saw the movie. I'm gonna go with a great big...

Wait for it....

Keep waiting...

Little further...

Meh.

The plot wasn't quite coma enducing, though any scene that had a human talking was (with one exception). Explosions were pretty, action pretty well played out. Shameless "buy the toys", especially with Upgrade-your-Optimus-today! Which made me scratch my head. I mean, can any transformer sacrifice their spark to become an upgrade? Was that something only Jetfire could do? Could we have, I dunno, gotten some sort of clue that this could happen? The plot was just... bad, but it's a Michael Bay film so I'm not gonna crucify it for having a sub-par plot.

Characters.

The nameless Autobot and Decepticon peons: Ok, hi marketing, man, did Ironhide or Rachet (I think it was Rachet, I don't think they ever said his name in this movie) even need to be in this movie? Let alone the motorcycle babes (I think they were called Arcee collectively, I dunno) or the... silver... car... dude whose name I'm also not sure was ever said.

The Twins: I cheered when I thought the red one got eaten, I was sorely disappointed when he turned out to be still alive, but they did kick some ass and they certainly aren't the first stereotypes in Transformers. Overall, meh.

Roommate dude: Ugh.

Wheelie: Ugh.

The parents: UGH!

Mekaela (Fuck if I know...): Mmmm, boobies. Wait, was she supposed to have a character?

Sam: A bit screamy yelly, but hey, giant robots of death.

Megatron: So... what did he do again? I mean, he went from being able to beat Optimus in a one on one fight to needing to outnumber him three to one to manage to win by stabbing Prime in the back while he wasn't looking. Huh? Then he kinda ran around playing second fiddle to the fallen and generally being a little bitch. How the mighty have fallen.

Optimus Prime: Spent most of the movie dead. You know, it would be great if they threw us for a loop and DIDN'T kill Prime for once. Or if they did kill him, didn't bring him back. For fucks sake people, at least G1 and Beast Wars had the decency to let him stay dead for several episodes. Now he's dying and coming back to life within a one hour time frame.

The Fallen: So he wants to destroy the human race because... Oh, ok, you don't need a reason. Carry on. The Teleporting was cool.

Simmons: The only human who, when he was talking, I didn't want to scrape out my ears so I couldn't hear anymore. Genuinely funny, genuinely badass. Had a great meta-moment where he openly declared that Jetfire was the character who was going to explain the plot of the movie. Also calling for Railgun support was awesome.

Jetfire: The only Transformer that I thought had actual character. Plus I enjoy crotchity old bastards. "Behold the glory of Jetfire! Now let me show you how we brought the pain in my day!" Fuck. Yes.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I finished seeing the whole thing last night, instead of stopping after 15-20 minutes like before.

This seems to be a running theme in Hollywood now - good idea, terrible execution. Graphics were nicely done (ignoring the fact that transformation sequences looked long, drawn out, and therefore rocket-bait), but the plot, characters (except for maybe Simmons and Sam's dad), and plot twists were...bad. I'd give it one star out of five, and that for the relatively good CG work.

EDIT: cleaned up post
Last edited by rhoenix on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Bah! You have no soul. :razz:

Bumblebee ripping that decepticon's spine out was fucking boss.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Stofsk wrote:Bah! You have no soul. :razz:

Bumblebee ripping that decepticon's spine out was fucking boss.
Watching Bumblebee kick Ravage's ass as well as the other Decepticon was awesome - but still, one scene does not a character make.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

There's no pleasing some people :razz: